thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Intro from MN

Tell us about yourself, your interest in the Thai language, or just say 'Hello!'

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Intro from MN

Postby JV44 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:07 am

Hi everybody.....I'm new here but have been using the dictionary part of the site for several years now in the course of my learning Thai. I know for a fact that in order to really learn another language one has to start at square one--learning the alphabet.....which in itself is a rather daunting task considering learning Thai isn't at all like learning German, French, Spanish, or other languages that basically use the same alphabet as English. So it's like first grade all over again so to speak...

My main reason for learning Thai is that I plan on retiring there....and I would much rather be able to communicate with people without having to rely on my Thai fiancee to translate--plus I'm not your typical American who expects people to speak English. Aside from the fact that I was born in Germany and thus speak a certain amount of German.....my father was in the US Air Force and my family was stationed in Iceland (when I was 10/11 years old) and Izmir, Turkey (where I graduated from high school in 1975) but in both cases we lived in those countries without learning more than some common words and phrases--and I know that's not going to be good enough for living in Thailand. And bottom line--it shows respect for another people and their culture to learn their language.

Another reason I want to learn Thai is that I would love to teach English when I retire there--most likely as a private tutor rather than in the Thai school system (though I haven't discounted the idea entirely of teaching in a school)--and I firmly believe this would be much easier if I learn Thai to the best of my abilities. I keep reading online about English teachers in Thailand being either A.) native Thais who don't really know English all that well to begin with, or B.) people from the US, Australia, Britain, etc. whose primary spoken language is English but who know little to none in the way of speaking Thai....and I can't help but think that I could be a much better English teacher if I could speak (and read & write) Thai to start with.

Even though I'm learning standard Thai, I'm also learning some of the Isaan dialect since my fiancee is originally from Bung Khan and now lives in Sakon Nakhon...so I'm aware of the similarities between the Isaan dialect and the Lao language. I also like a lot of the music from that part of Thailand by artists like Pong Lang Sa-on, Jintara Poonlarp, Earn Kwan Waranya, and others....as well as Lao (and even Hmong) music--which also helps learning the language.

Anyway......I'm excited to be here and hope to learn even more as a result....

Mike in MN

P.S. I've become a huge fan of the sport of sepak takraw lately and watch a lot of matches on YouTube. Both the mens' and womens' Thai teams are pretty much the world champs. Even though I'm now 58, I'm in pretty good shape physically and really want to learn to play this as a form of exercise--I plan on getting a takraw ball on Ebay this spring when it will be warm enough to realistically start practicing outside.
JV44

Re: Intro from MN

Postby David and Bui » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Welcome, Mike, to Thai-language.com. Great to heart that you will be retiring to Thailand and congratulations on your having Thai fiance. We hope that this site can provide you assistance in your language learning process.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby seiha » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:48 am

มันน่าสนใจมาก ขอบคุณสำหรับการแบ่งปัน

คาสิโนออนไลน์ ในรูปแบบใหม่ล่าสุดจาก ปอยเปต คาสิโน รีสอร์ท ได้ที่นี่ royal1688
seiha

Postby JV44 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:11 am

seiha wrote:มันน่าสนใจมาก ขอบคุณสำหรับการแบ่งปัน

OK, I think I may understand this...."man" is "it, they" or "to enjoy"....and then "is very interested in"....the second part is basically "thanks for sharing", correct?

คาสิโนออนไลน์ ในรูปแบบใหม่ล่าสุดจาก ปอยเปต คาสิโน รีสอร์ท ได้ที่นี่ royal1688
JV44

Postby JV44 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:40 am

I forgot to mention....I have a good friend who has been living in Chiang Mai for over a year or so and we talk via Skype a few times a week about the whole living/retiring in Thailand issue--especially health care since I've had a kidney transplant and I have 4 stents around my heart.....so prescription meds availability and price are an important thing for me. He speaks a little Thai--basic words and phrases....and has warned me about culture shock. I reminded him that I've actually lived in a couple countries when I was younger so I'm already familiar with that--Izmir, Turkey being the greatest culture shock for me....the Muslim religion being probably the biggest issue we dealt with. And since we had no military base to live on in Izmir, we lived in the city in the same apartment buildings as the Turks so we got a crash course in Turkish culture--language, laws and customs, food, the whole shebang.

And I must admit.....I really look forward to this with regards to Thailand. I want that feeling again, of being in a foreign country that is vastly different than the US. It's something I miss greatly from my childhood and high school years. But even though my going to Thailand will be completely different, what with actually learning the language ahead of time, YouTube videos posted from people living in Thailand, and seeing pretty much everything about living conditions from chatting with my fiancee on Skype (including meeting her parents), plus all my Facebook friends in Thailand (thanks to growing adeniums).....even still I know I'm going to get that feeling of "OK, you're not in Kansas anymore" that I miss so much. And I'm REALLY looking forward to eating real Thai food--especially street food.

And another really big thing for me.....once I'm there, actually living there.....I'll never have to deal with snow or way below zero temps ever again for the rest of my life.

Mike in MN
JV44

Return to Guestbook and Introductions