thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

มีได้ไม่นาน

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

มีได้ไม่นาน

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:50 am

Here is a little snippet which I got from my typing practice and which I don't think I would have come up with on my own.
... ถึงแม้ว่าท่านจะมีครีมบำรุงผิวที่ดีเลิศอย่างไง ถ้าท่านไม่รับประทานอาหารที่เหมาะสม หรือได้รับสารอาหารที่เพียงพอต่อร่างกาย ความสวยก็จะมีได้ไม่นาน
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Re: มีได้ไม่นาน

Postby David and Bui » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Good one, Tgeezer. Here are some sentences using the adverbial phrase "[verb]ได้ไม่นาน"

"ตอนเหตุการณ์นี้เกิดขึ้น แม่กับพ่อเพิ่งเรียนจบ และแต่งงานกันได้ไม่นานก็ตั้งท้องผม"

"ในที่สุดเมื่อผ่านความอดทนกับสภาพนี้ไปได้ไม่นาน ผมก็จะลุกพรวดพราดขึ้นจากเตียงนอน"

"เดินมาได้ไม่นานเขาก็ต้องหยุดชะงักเหมือนถูกสะกด"
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 am

Thanks David.
I see ได้ as an adverb too, but I expect some people could see it pointing to the ไม่นาน. As an adverb ได้ shows a positive situation which I like.
In my example ได้ says 'able to' so:
แต่งงานได้
ผ่านไปได้
เดินมาได้

Would you agree that if it were ได้แต่งงาน ได้ผ่านไป ได้เดินมา it would simply be a matter of parlance?
I think that wherever ได้ appears I could make sense of it: จะมีได้ไม่นาน / จะได้มีไม่นาน Is that because I am not familiar with either and there is in fact a correct way?
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:25 am

Great question for Pirin.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:58 am

David and Bui wrote:Great question for Pirin.

ditto! :D
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 am

Tgeezer wrote:Here is a little snippet which I got from my typing practice and which I don't think I would have come up with on my own.
... ถึงแม้ว่าท่านจะมีครีมบำรุงผิวที่ดีเลิศอย่างไง ถ้าท่านไม่รับประทานอาหารที่เหมาะสม หรือได้รับสารอาหารที่เพียงพอต่อร่างกาย ความสวยก็จะมีได้ไม่นาน

David and Bui wrote:Great question for Pirin.

Before the discussion, all parties ought to read the same thing carefully. Please have a look at RID's definition of ได้, especially the underlined part. Later, I'll discuss the functions of this word in various contexts shown earlier.

ได้ ก. รับมาหรือตกมาเป็นของตัว เช่น ได้เงิน ได้ลูก ได้แผล; ใช้ประกอบท้ายคํากริยามีความหมายต่าง ๆ แล้วแต่ความแวดล้อม คือ อาจ, สามารถ, เช่น เดินได้ เขียนได้; สําเร็จผล เช่น สอบได้; อนุญาต เช่น ลงมือกินได้ ไปได้; (ไว) คําช่วยกริยาบอกอดีต เช่น ได้กิน ได้ไป; เรียกเงินหรือสิ่งที่ได้มาว่า เงินได้ รายได้.
http://www.thai-language.com/id/4445
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:55 am

How literal do we need to be?
ความสวยจะมีได้ Beauty will have can.
I think that it is safe to translate directly because we don't all have your knowledge of Thai Pirin, also I think that the definitions explain how ได้ might come to be applied after a noun it is only a matter of syntax, แล้วแต่ความแวดล้อม which I interpret as to make of it what you can.
I think that if we take ผิวหนังเป็นสิ่งของตน = มี then สามารถ can be applied to beauty in the English sense of being only skin deep, we can say we 'can have beauty' = มีได้
If you eat the right food then you will create the ability (คุณสมบัติ).
Is that ความสวยที่รับมา หรือ ความสวยที่ตกมา ?

ความสวยจะได้มี Beauty will have been possessed. To make sense of this should we change the first condition to past tense? หากท่านไม่ได้รับประทานอาหารเหมาะสม...
Last edited by Tgeezer on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:23 am

If you should focus on finding the reasons why my English is not natural, although I can communicate with you about almost anything, you might see that a learner will be fluent in a language when learning and using it in real situations with native speakers in his/her daily life for some years.

In the case of the sentence in your question, once a word appears in the context to modify another word, to me, that is the part grammarians do not explain. I'll try my best to make this sound easy when I have access to Internet with the PC again.
Pirin

Postby Pirin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:03 am

Before thinking about modifiers in Thai sentences that seem to be confusing, please have a look at modifiers in an English sentence. Why aren't they confusing to you?

"In his desire to create a fully integrated master plan, Cardinal conducted several consultations not just with band leaders but the entire community, receiving input from every level."
Pirin

Postby Pirin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:18 am

Although the following explanation might cause confusion, it shows what the speaker says in each of the sentences.

key word + key word + key word + key word + (modifier) [modifier]
<=
ความสวย + ก็ + จะ + มี + (ได้) + [ไม่นาน]
<=
ความสวยก็จะมีได้ไม่นาน
<=
ถึงแม้ว่าท่านจะมีครีมบำรุงผิวที่ดีเลิศอย่างไง ถ้าท่านไม่รับประทานอาหารที่เหมาะสม หรือได้รับสารอาหารที่เพียงพอต่อร่างกาย ความสวยก็จะมีได้ไม่นาน

The modifier (ได้) modifies the key word มี.

The modifier [ไม่นาน] modifies the clause ความสวยก็จะมีได้.

(modifier) + key word + key word + key phrase + (modifier) + [modifier]
<=
(In his desire to create a fully integrated master plan), + Cardinal + conducted + several consultations + (not just with band leaders but the entire community), [receiving input from every level].
<=
In his desire to create a fully integrated master plan, Cardinal conducted several consultations not just with band leaders but the entire community, receiving input from every level.

The modifier (In his desire to create a fully integrated master plan) modifies the key word conducted.

The modifier (not just with band leaders but the entire community) modifies the key word conducted.

The modifier [receiving input from every level] modifies the clause In his desire to create a fully integrated master plan, Cardinal conducted several consultations not just with band leaders but the entire community.
Pirin

Next

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech