thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

proverb

The art and science of translation to or from Thai, with examples

Moderator: acloudmovingby

proverb

Postby Gra-ding » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 pm

I've searched through the proverb section and I can't find the one I'm looking for. ' Price is no indication of quality '
'Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it's better' etc.

I was thinking "แพงกว่าก็ไม่ใช่ดีกว่า" Or "แพงกว่าก็ไม่ใช่ดีกว่าเสมอ"

Which raises another question. How would one say "Just because...." eg as in, 'Just because I'm older doesn't make me smarter'

Anyone care to help out?
Gra-ding

proverb

Postby Nan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:26 am

' Price is no indication of quality '

I'm not sure whether it has a proverb for this saying in Thai.

If you want to say it literally, you can say "ราคาไม่ใช่ตัวกำหนดคุณภาพ".

'Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it's better'

It can be "แพงกว่าใช่ว่าจะดีกว่า".

Or "เพียงเพราะ(ว่า)มันแพงกว่าไม่ได้หมายความว่ามันต้องดีกว่า".

Which raises another question. How would one say "Just because...." eg as in, 'Just because I'm older doesn't make me smarter'

Just because - เพียงเพราะ or เพียงเพราะว่า

'Just because I'm older doesn't make me smarter'
- เพียงเพราะ(ว่า)ผมแก่กว่าไม่ได้ทำให้ผมฉลาดกว่า(เสมอไปหรอก)

P.S. words in parenthesis are options which could make the sentence sounds smoother.
Nan

proverb

Postby Gra-ding » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm

'Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it's better'
I've just found something that we can work with,

"เขาคิดว่าของยิ่งแพงยิ่งดี", so how does ของยิ่งแพงไม่ใช่ยิ่งดีเสมอ sound? Not quite there I think. I trying to grasp the theme of 'not always better' whereas my attempt seems lean more to a 'is never better' meaning.

Thanks Nan for your input and David for the PM
Gra-ding

Re: proverb

Postby yaghaji » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 am

ราคาไม่สามารถวัดคุณภาพ
yaghaji

Postby Pirin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:25 am

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby mangkorn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:45 am

Gra-ding wrote:I've searched through the proverb section and I can't find the one I'm looking for. ' Price is no indication of quality '
'Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it's better' etc.

ผ้าขี้ริ้วห่อทอง

This proverb addresses the idea from the opposite direction, but it still fits: don't underestimate something because of the plain wrapper (conversely, a fancy wrap/price, doesn't guarantee value/quality).
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:43 am

Gra-ding wrote:'Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it's better'
I've just found something that we can work with,

"เขาคิดว่าของยิ่งแพงยิ่งดี", so how does ของยิ่งแพงไม่ใช่ยิ่งดีเสมอ sound? Not quite there I think. I trying to grasp the theme of 'not always better' whereas my attempt seems lean more to a 'is never better' meaning.

I wouldn't call 'Price is no indication of quality' a proverb, it is simply an opinion. The fact that เสมอ is found necessary shows that most people see that.
It is also a comparison and as you say ยิ่ง fits perfectly for a truism ยิ่งแพงยิ่งดี could have come straight from the RID. How does one show that one doesn't think it true?
In conversation with a little effort on the part of the listener would any of these work ไม่เชื่อว่ายิ่งแพงยิ่งดี ไม่ถือยิ่งแพงยิ่งดี ยิ่งแพงยิ่งดีไม่ใช่ ยิ่งแพงไม่ใช่ยิ่งดี
Tgeezer

Postby tod-daniels » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 am

Actually the thaiz have an idiom which directly equates price with quality.
"ของถูกไม่ดี, ของดีไม่ถูก"; "Cheap things ain't good, Good things ain't cheap" <-MY translation! :lol:

This would lead me to believe that selling a thai on an idiomatic expression which says "price is no indication of quality" might be hard for them to wrap their heads around. Especially as every single thai I've met here, ALWAYS asks how much something cost.

It's right up there tryin' to tell a thai that just because you're older doesn't make you smarter or "age doesn't equal intelligence". I routinely meet old people who are as dumb as a box of rockz :shock:, so stupid in fact I wonder how they managed to live as long as they did as stupid as they are :? . This totally befuddles my thai friends, because here AGE is 100% equated with intelligence :oops: . I always see old people afforded respect simply because they managed to live a long time. :o

Now, please believe; I don't mean to take away from any of the offerings by more learned posters on this thread. It's just that I've never heard anything close to what the O/P is wanting to say, spoken by a native speaker of Thai.

In briefly perusing the book ,๐๐๐ สำนวนไทย (นับแต่อดีตจวบจนปัจจุบัน) I was unable to find any that started with ยิ่ง or แพง and fit what the O/P wanted. That's not saying there's not one out there, just that I couldn't find it paging thru that book.

FWIW: That book is one I heartily recommend ANY learner of this language pick up ASAP :) ! Hands down it's the best 90 baht I've EVER spent on a book here!!
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby David and Bui » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:18 am

For more information regarding the book Tod referenced, see http://www.thai-language.com/book-reviews#7

Also, see http://www.thai-language.com/book-reviews#8 for metaphors and similes.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby tod-daniels » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 am

Thanx for linking it "David and Bui", I had added it at the bottom of my notepad but didn't scroll down enough to catch it when I cut-n-pasted it.. :(

Again, that book is to die for good.. And for me to say that a Thai book hasta provide one heck of a bang-4-the-baht! :D
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Next

Return to Translation Techniques