thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

ราชบัณฑิตยสภา

Thai words and their origins

Moderator: acloudmovingby

ราชบัณฑิตยสภา

Postby David and Bui » Mon May 30, 2016 8:25 pm

Does anyone know why the name of the "Royal Institute" has been changed to the "Royal Society" (i.e., from "ราชบัณฑิตยสถาน" to "ราชบัณฑิตยสภา")?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: ราชบัณฑิตยสภา

Postby David and Bui » Mon May 30, 2016 8:32 pm

I see the discussion at http://www.royin.go.th/?page_id=822 but I do not understand the whats and whys. Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Tue May 31, 2016 5:43 am

David and Bui wrote:I see the discussion at http://www.royin.go.th/?page_id=822 but I do not understand the whats and whys. Thanks.

In the above link, please read the following two paragraphs again.

เมื่อวันที่ ๑๙ เมษายน พ.. ๒๔๖๙ พระบาทสมเด็จพระปรมินทรมหาประชาธิปก พระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว รัชกาลที่ ๗ แห่งราชวงศ์จักรีได้ทรงพระกรุณาโปรดเกล้าฯ ประกาศให้จัดตั้งราชบัณฑิตยสภาขึ้น ทรงเห็นสมควรฟื้นฟูกิจการของ กรมราชบัณฑิตย์ ซึ่งมีมาแต่โบราณและเป็นตำแหน่งสำหรับทรงตั้งผู้มีความรู้ศาสตราคมไว้รับราชการ ต่อมาเมื่อ พ.. ๒๔๗๖ สภาผู้แทนราษฎร ได้ถวายคำปรึกษาแด่พระบาทสมเด็จพระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว สมควรจัดตั้งราชบัณฑิตยสถานให้มีสมาชิกผู้ประกอบด้วยคุณวิชา สมควรจะได้เลือกตั้งเป็นราชบัณฑิตในภายหน้าเพื่อกระทำการค้นคว้าหาความรู้นำมาเผยแพร่แก่ประชาชนและสร้างตำรับตำราให้แพร่หลายต่อไปจึงทรงพระกรุณาโปรดเกล้าฯ ให้ตรา พระราชบัญญัติว่าด้วยราชบัณฑิตยสถาน ขึ้นเมื่อ พ.. ๒๔๗๖ และให้ยกเลิกประกาศตั้งราชบัณฑิตยสภา ฉบับลงวันที่ ๑๙ เมษายน พ.. ๒๔๖๙

ในปี ๒๕๕๖ ราชบัณฑิตยสภาโดยสภาราชบัณฑิตเห็นเป็นการสมควรเปลี่ยนชื่อราชบัณฑิตยสถานเป็นราชบัณฑิตยสภาอันเป็นชื่อเดิมที่พระบาทสมเด็จพระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวได้ทรงสถาปนาขึ้นเมื่อวันที่ ๑๙ เมษายน พ.. ๒๔๖๙ เพื่อเฉลิมพระเกียรติในโอกาส ๑๒๐ ปี พระบรมราชสมภพ รวมทั้งปรับปรุงอำนาจหน้าที่และการบริหารงานวิชาการของราชบัณฑิตยสภาให้แพร่หลายแก่วงวิชาการของประเทศและประชาชนทั่วไปมากขึ้น ประกอบกับให้มีการจัดตั้งกองทุนสวัสดิการสมาชิกราชบัณฑิตยสภาเพื่อเป็นประโยชน์แก่สมาชิกราชบัณฑิตยสภา และกำหนดให้รายได้ที่ราชบัณฑิตยสภาได้รับจากการบริหารทางด้านวิชาการและการจัดการศึกษาอบรมสามารถนำไปจ่ายในการดำเนินการตามอำนาจหน้าที่ของสำนักงานราชบัณฑิตยสภาโดยไม่ต้องนำส่งคลังเป็นรายได้แผ่นดิน เพื่อให้มีความคล่องตัวในการบริหารงานวิชาการมากขึ้น
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Tue May 31, 2016 6:58 am

David and Bui wrote:Does anyone know why the name of the "Royal Institute" has been changed to the "Royal Society" (i.e., from "ราชบัณฑิตยสถาน" to "ราชบัณฑิตยสภา")?

It only matters in translation surely.
There are probably good Sanskrit or Thai reasons for changing the name but I don't see how the English changes.
ราชบันฑิต is a person learned in Pali with Royal patronage. สถาน is a place, which has been translated as academy.
Do we reverse the order, "place for learned people appointed by the King", in แบบราชบันฑิตยสถาน translated as copy of the Royal Institute I have considered Royal Institute as members of the institute of learned people appointed by the King because we do that in English, I guess that this doesn't work in Thai.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am

The English name has also changed from "The Royal Institute" to "The Royal Society". See http://www.royin.go.th/
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Tue May 31, 2016 10:19 am

So I see but I am just using my understanding of English. It doesn't matter one way or the other in English but it is interesting that someone decided to change it, maybe it's American or Indian English, who knows what influenced the change?

Edit: Why isn't it simply ราชสภา I wonder?
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Tue May 31, 2016 2:58 pm

"ในปี ๒๕๕๖ ราชบัณฑิตยสภาโดยสภาราชบัณฑิตเห็นเป็นการสมควรเปลี่ยนชื่อราชบัณฑิตยสถานเป็นราชบัณฑิตยสภาอันเป็นชื่อเดิมที่พระบาทสมเด็จพระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวได้ทรงสถาปนาขึ้นเมื่อวันที่ ๑๙ เมษายน พ.. ๒๔๖๙ เพื่อเฉลิมพระเกียรติในโอกาส ๑๒๐ ปี พระบรมราชสมภพ รวมทั้งปรับปรุงอำนาจหน้าที่และการบริหารงานวิชาการของราชบัณฑิตยสภาให้แพร่หลายแก่วงวิชาการของประเทศและประชาชนทั่วไปมากขึ้น"

"In 2556 (2013) the Royal Society [originally called "Sapa Rachabandit"] deemed it beneficial to change its name from "The Royal Institute" to "The Royal Society" which was the name originally given to the organization by King Rama 7th when the organization was created on 19 April 2469 (1926). The name was given in honor of the 120 year anniversary of His birth. [Birth year 1893 + 120 = 2013]. Additionally, the powers, responsibilities, and academic administration of the Royal Society were revised in order to broaden and expand the reach its information base to the nation and its people."

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:46 am

David and Bui wrote:"ในปี ๒๕๕๖ ราชบัณฑิตยสภาโดยสภาราชบัณฑิตเห็นเป็นการสมควรเปลี่ยนชื่อราชบัณฑิตยสถานเป็นราชบัณฑิตยสภาอันเป็นชื่อเดิมที่พระบาทสมเด็จพระปกเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวได้ทรงสถาปนาขึ้นเมื่อวันที่ ๑๙ เมษายน พ.. ๒๔๖๙ เพื่อเฉลิมพระเกียรติในโอกาส ๑๒๐ ปี พระบรมราชสมภพ รวมทั้งปรับปรุงอำนาจหน้าที่และการบริหารงานวิชาการของราชบัณฑิตยสภาให้แพร่หลายแก่วงวิชาการของประเทศและประชาชนทั่วไปมากขึ้น"

"In 2556 (2013) the Royal Society [originally called "Sapa Rachabandit"] deemed it beneficial to change its name from "The Royal Institute" to "The Royal Society" which was the name originally given to the organization by King Rama 7th when the organization was created on 19 April 2469 (1926). The name was given in honor of the 120 year anniversary of His birth. [Birth year 1893 + 120 = 2013]. Additionally, the powers, responsibilities, and academic administration of the Royal Society were revised in order to broaden and expand the reach its information base to the nation and its people."

What do you think?

I have a problem with compound nouns, I see a difference between สภาราชบันฑิต group of academicians and ราชบันฑิตสภา academician's group : The Royal society by members of the Royal society "deemed it beneficial" or "Members of the Royal society consider it appropriate to change...., "
I think that ปรับปรึง might simply show their intention to improve their performance in their original role.
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 am

Thanks for your response. Since the name was created almost 100 years ago, I don't know how the official naming conventions worked in those days.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:10 am

David and Bui wrote:Thanks for your response. Since the name was created almost 100 years ago, I don't know how the official naming conventions worked in those days.

I think that it works in the same way as it works now but I am not sure that I know what it is. สภาราขบันฑิต "Royal societicians " ราชบันฑิตสภา "The Royal society" . It sounds better in English: Royal academician. Royal Academy. I don't associate society with scholarship in the same way that I see Academician with which I translate ราชบันฑิต .
Tgeezer

Return to Vocabulary and Etymology