thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Delicious!

Aural and oral characteristics of the Thai language

Delicious!

Postby Nan » Tue May 22, 2007 4:16 am

One more thing, today I asked my northeastern friend to say this word in both question sentence and answer sentence, when she said it in question sentence, it sounded like high tone to me but in the answer sentence, it had falling tone. So, it might be something about the spoken language too.

Try to say "ชอบมั้ย" short and fast, you would understand how it could change the tone. It has changed the word ชอบ from falling tone as it should be to high tone by saying that.
Nan

Delicious!

Postby David and Bui » Tue May 22, 2007 5:26 pm

อาจารย์นันครับ

Thank you so much for that very clear explanation; I had not realized that a ไม้โท was possible in this context.

If I had only read the book first. I have a Thai book named “ภาษาไทย (ฉบับติวเข้ม)” by ... ดร. นิติภูม นวรัตน์. The very first chapter introduces the “ไตรยางค์” or “The Three Classes of Consonants”. On page 17 there is an illustration of what is called “คำตายฑีฆสระ”. There are five sets of possible sounds: เสียงสามัญ, เสียงเอก, เสียงโท, เสียงตรี, และ เสียงจัตวา.

Just as you pointed out, there are three examples of words under เสียงโท (คาก, งาด, ทาบ) just as one might expect; then, unexpectedly, there are three examples under เสียงตรี (ค้าก, ง้าด, ท้าบ). I believe this is what you were referring to in your post. There is no example, however, of a เสียงโท with the use of a ไม้เอก, as in แซ่บ.

There is certainly a difference between a spoken language and its written counterpart. Your illustration of “ชอบมั้ย” is what we hear all the time. Sometimes this affects the written language as well, especially among students. I happened to see an essay the other day written by a student graduating from high school; he was requesting a scholarship to attend a “มหาลัย”. I am given to understand that Thai web boards are full of this type of language, just like their English language counterparts. It think the kids do it so that their parents will not understand what the kids are saying.

Thanks again for your patience with us.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Delicious!

Postby montrii » Tue May 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Great to see this board come back to life, and great as always to see your thoughtful comments, Nan! Anyhow I can also imagine how sometimes in normal speech แซบ could be mistaken for a high-tone word, as when combined with the Lao word for "extremely," as แซบอีหลี (not sure if the second word is spelled right). When spoken in Lao/Isaan the falling part of the syllable kind of gets lost with the emphasis on "eelee." But you would always hear it strongly when either by itself, followed by a บ่อ (=ไหม) or followed by a rising tone, as in แซบหลาย (Nongkhai pronunciation, I think Luang Phrabang would sound it as แซบลาย). หลาย/ลาย also means "very" in Lao/Isaan.
mirum est ut animus agitatione motuque corporis excitetur.
montrii

Delicious!

Postby thaitom » Wed May 23, 2007 11:04 pm

Hello All!!

Heck... David, I think you’ve stirred up a hornet’s nest on this one! But it looks like fun, though!

From what I can tell, you are all right. I just think we need to first understand the Lao language to better understand how one should render the word “อร่อย” in Standard Bangkok Thai.

So, here we go.....

If we start with the Standard Lao spoken in the “Vientiane Dialect”—which is considered the national norm in much the same way that the “Bangkok Dialect” is considered the national norm of the Thai language—we see that the word อร่อย translates into ແຊບ. In “official commie” Lao this would be considered a falling tone. Look at page 142 in Benjawan Poomsan Becker’s “Lao for Beginners” and it says that for the Lao script a falling tone is made from a low consonant with a long vowel and final stop—no tone mark is needed (this is identical to Thai). Therefore the easiest way to render this sound using Thai script would be without the use of the ไม้เอก as well, and written as แซบ. Anything else would be redundant. Agreed?

But before we talk more about that pesky, redundant ไม้เอก let’s double check to see exactly what tone this word is in Lao and ask ourselves the question: Why did Nan when she heard her friend say แซบ it sounded more like a high tone, but yet when Montrii worked out in the boonies of Isan (similar to myself) he heard it as a falling tone. Adding to that my own experience—I often hear แซบ pronounced in what we sometimes call the seventh tone up here or the “high-falling” tone, a tone that rarely rears its ugly head in Central Thai. (The sixth tone would be the “low-rising” tone.) Working in my little village of บ้านท่าแร่ in จังหวัดสกลนคร I consistently came into contact with about five to six different subgroups of the Tai-Kadai Language Family as well as a lot of Vietnamese speakers which we call ญวน or แก๋ว, depending on how politically correct you want to be. Those subgroups were ผู้ไทย (sometimes written as ภูไท or พูไท), ขะลึง, ญ้อ (also written as ย่อ or ญ่อ), ลาว (that’s used in Vientiane, อีสานเหนือ, and finally อีสานไต้ (sometimes อีสาน is written as อิสาน)***. This list doesn’t even include some of the other bits of odd vocabularies or misguided tones that people in my area use that aren’t even considered to be under Tai-Kadai (for example ภาษาโซ้, ภาษาข่า or ภาษาแสก). So to answer the question: What the hell tone is แซบ anyway? There’s probably four or five different ways to pronounce the tone, and all of this depends on where you were born, where you grew up, what class you are, what generation you are from, how much time you had access to your language group, and probably how far away you live from the city. So, like so many other things in life the right answer is “it depends!”

However, if I were to have to put money on it, I’d say that most people up here say it with a falling tone.

***(Just a side note: If anyone has access to it, check out “US Peace Corps/Thailand, Northeastern Dialect Lessons.” It was written in about the middle 1970’s. This is a really cool book and helped us out a lot in the field!!)

Ok, so now that we know that แซบ is often pronounced as a falling tone, why then is it often written with a ไม้เอก as แซ่บ??? First check out some dictionaries and you’ll see that it is often written as แซบ as often as it is written as แซ่บ. David, check your Matichon Dictionary and you’ll see that they wrote it with a ไม้เอก as แซ่บ. For fun I often like to check out the comics “หนูหิ่น.” They’re about a small Isan girl who ends up working for a pretentious, newly rich Thai family in Bangkok as their little servant maid. What’s interesting about these comic books (both for social commentary and humor) is the way the editors decided to render the Isan speaking little girl. It just so happens that the editors sometimes decided to spell แซบ as แซบ and other times they render it with a ไม้เอก as แซ่บ. I think this is important because it suggests that they themselves don’t know how best to render this tone. Further more, it shows that the tone can fluctuate between high to falling or even to “high-falling” like it does up here in the Northeast of Thailand.

I guess in the end it doesn’t really matter if แซบ is written with a ไม้เอก or not—if it’s redundant or not. The fact is unless you have to deal with one of the Lao dialects up here that word is not in Central Thai and therefore shouldn’t be fretted over too much. More than anything the word แซบ is nothing more than a novelty to most Thais, similar to David’s, over-priced, underwhelling Isan restaurant in Phuket. Hehe :P

Hope that wasn’t too winded.

(Note to Glenn, if the Laos characters don’t appear, try downloading that font from Northern Illinois University Website at www.seasite.niu.edu The font is called MaHaSila.)

Now I’ve got a question about a redundant ไม้เอก of my own:

ในคำว่า แรด ที่เราคงจะใช้กันเป็นคำแสลงคำด่าอะไรยังเนี้ย และที่หมายความว่า slut ของภาษาอังกฤษโดยตรง นี่ไงจำเป็นต้องใส่ไม้เอกด้วยรึเปล่านะครับ?? บางทีเคยเห็นมันออกเป็น แรด แล้วบางทีสะกดเป็น แร่ด... แล้วขอถามหน่อยอันไหนถูกต้องเนี่ยนะครับผม? :roll:

That’s it for me for now. Cheers!

Thaitom :) :) :)
--
T F Rhoden
thaitom

Delicious!

Postby Nan » Thu May 24, 2007 12:10 am

คุณทอม,

ขอบคุณสำหรับคำอธิบายที่มีประโยชน์มากๆ เหล่านี้นะคะ บางครั้งเรื่องเสียงวรรณยุกต์นี่มันเป็นอะไรที่น่าสับสนมาก เมื่อต้องมาเกี่ยวข้องกับสำเนียงการพูด ดังนั้นมันขึ้นอยู่กับว่า ถ้าเราต้องการให้มันถูกต้องตามไวยากรณ์ เราก็ต้องเขียนตามที่กำหนดโดยราชบัณฑิตยสถาน (RID) ไม่ใช่ยึดตามพจนานุกรมเล่มใดๆ ก็ได้ โดยเฉพาะของมติชนนี่ เคยมีข้อถกเถียงมาแล้วว่าเชื่อถือได้เพียงใด เพราะว่าบางคำมันขัดแย้งกับของบัณฑิตยสถาน เช่นคำว่า มุขตลก ควรจะใช้คำว่า มุก หรือ มุข

เช่นเดียวกับคำว่า แรด ที่คุณถามถึง การสะกดคำๆ นี้ เหมือนกับคำว่า แซบ นั่นแหละ อักษรต่ำ +สระเสียงยาว + ตัวสะกดที่เป็นคำตาย ถ้าใส่ไม้เอกเข้าไป ตามหลักไวยากรณ์ถือว่าผิดทั้งสองคำ เพราะคำที่เข้าข่ายนี้จะไม่สามารถใช้ไม้เอกได้เลย ใช้ได้แต่ไม้โท และไม้จัตวาเท่านั้น แต่ความที่คำเหล่านี้เวลาอ่านออกเสียง มันจะมีเสียงสั้น คนเลยเข้าใจไปว่ามันเป็นเสียงสั้น เลยใส่ไม้เอกไปเพื่อให้ได้เสียงโท ตามกฎไวยากรณ์ คือ อักษรต่ำ +สระเสียงสั้น + ตัวสะกดคำตาย ซึ่งมีได้แต่วรรณยุกต์เอกและจัตวาเท่านั้น

คิดว่าคุณทอม คุณเดวิดและคุณมนตรี คงอ่านเข้าใจนะคะ ถ้าไม่เข้าใจตรงไหน จะพยายามกลับมาอธิบายให้ใหม่เป็นภาษาอังกฤษนะคะ :)
Nan

Delicious!

Postby David and Bui » Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 am

ผมอยากจะขอพระคุณท่านทั้งสามคน คือ อาจารย์นัน คุณมนตรี และคุณทอม ที่อุตสาหะตอบคำถามที่ในเบื้องต้นจะมีลักษณะค่อนข้างง่ายหน่อย แต่ในที่สุดปรากฏออกสับสนวุ่นวายและน่าสนใจ นี่เป็นตัวอย่างที่ดีแสดงความประสงและผลประโยชน์ที่เกิดขึ้นจากเวบไซท์นี้

สุดท้ายนี้ผมอยากยกย่องและแสดงความนับถือแก่คุณเกลนน์ สะเลตัน ที่พยายามดูแล ปรับปรุง และ เพิ่มเติม thai-language.com ให้เราใช้และศึกษาอยู่เสมอ
David in Houston
David and Bui

Delicious!

Postby thaitom » Thu May 24, 2007 9:47 pm

ขอบคุณทั้ง David von Phuket, Señor Montrii และคุณนันนะครับ!!

คุณนันอธิบายเก่งจังเนอะ แถมเห็นด้วย! :)

Now it's time for lunch, i gotta eat like crazy...หิวจะตายละ..55

c yawl!

thaitom 8-)
--
T F Rhoden
thaitom

Delicious!

Postby David and Bui » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 am

This is about the word "บ่".

I though we ought to resurrect the old chestnut of spelling for Northeast dialect with another very common word: บ่, pronounced บ่อ but spelled บ่ and meaning "no" or "not", like "ไม่" in Thai.

This spelling is reflected in the Thai-language.com dictionary, but not in Lexitron, for example. The RID, however defines the word บ่ as "ไม่, มักใช้ในหนังสือเก่าหรือกวีนิพนธ์ หรือบางท้องถิ่น, ในที่ใช้ บ เมื่อใช้ว่า บ่ ก็มีความเช่นเดียวกัน."

Any reason that common parlance spells the word without the ""?

I hope that Nan, Montri, and peripatetic ThaiTom have a chance to comment on this topic.

Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Delicious!

Postby Nan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:55 am

David,

I don't know for sure about this word. But as from reading on a Thai grammar book, this word is an example in the vowel's part, สระออ ลดรูป.

In the book, it said "สระออ ลดรูป คือ ตัวตัว อ ออกเสีย แต่คงอ่านเหมือนมีตัว อ กำกับอยู่ ได้แก่ คำไทยบางคำ คือ บ และ บ่ ที่แปลว่า ไม่ แต่ถ้า บอ ที่แปลว่า เกือบบ้า หรือ บ่อ ที่แปลว่าหลุม ต้องมี อ อยู่ด้วย"

From Dr. Wit Thiengburanathum's dictionary:

บ่ (บ่อ) (bau)
(.) ไม่, เป็นคำของอีสานและภาคเหนือ. adj. Laos no, not, never, negative. adj. no, not, never, negative.
Syn. บมิ, บ่มิ
Nan

Delicious!

Postby mangkorn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:09 am

Well, gee, it seems I'm a couple years late coming to this thread, but better late than never, and so I must chime in.

แซบ is definitely spoken with a falling tone, in my experience. (But I can also see how it might be heard as high tone in some cases...)

Anyway, the only thing I really wish to contribute is how useful and lovely is the use of that word, for me.

When I walk down the street, as I do very often, and see people eating food - as I often do - and make a fair guess that they are from Isan (as they often are), I simply say: แซบบ่

That always produces an enthusiastic response, and very often an invitation to sit down with them to eat, and to converse.

I have made many, many friends and acquaintances with that simple two-word question, even (or especially) here in กรุงเทพ.

And, thus, it is one of my favourite of all expressions in Thai language (or should I say Lao language, spoken by Thais?).

My point is: it is one of the quickest ways to meet Thai people.

And it is quite melodic and fun to say, too.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

PreviousNext

Return to Phonetics, Phonemics, Tone, Stress, Vowel Duration