thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Teaching english in Thailand

Visas and planning your residency in Thailand

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Postby bobk_nyc » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:44 am

I am wondering it there is anyone in the forum, that is teaching english in Th. I am thinking of getting certified, and trying to get a work vise. It would be a way for me to stay in TH, and make a few baht....I am certainly not looking to make a lot, perhaps only beer money. but I want something to do other than sit on the beach. Or at the pool, if BKK..Thanks Bobk
bobk_nyc

Postby KruThomas » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:45 am

Hey Bob!

I have been teaching in Thailand for nearly 4 years now.

Just a few notes on getting a teaching job at the moment.

Immigration and the Ministry of Education have tightened up the rules. You will need a BA or BS in something. To teach English, they prefer a BEd, a BA in English, or a BA in Linguistics. You can get a job with a 4 year degree in another field and teach English, but the better schools will be picky.

You don't need a TEFL or CELTA at the moment. Who knows, maybe they will come back into play someday. I got a CELTA and found it extremely helpful.

The other major problem the government has introduced is a "criminal background check" from your home country. This is easy to get if you are living in your home country. However, if you've moved here or been on the road teaching for some time, they're very difficult to get. They can't be more than 30 days old either.

So, right now the best way to get a job is via e-mail, sight unseen (takeing a real chance there.) Or plan a trip over here, do a bunch of interviewing, get the required paperwork from the school you decide on, go home, get your criminal background check, and then apply for your Non-Immigrant B visa at the Thai embassy or consulate in the US. Once you have that, you can return back to Thailand and start teaching.

FYI, the Thai school year starts in May with semester break in October and finishes in February.

You can get more information at Ajarn.com if you're interested. Just remember, most people who post on that board either don't have a life, or are jaded because they didn't like something that happened. (I just read too much nasty stuff up there and I know a lot of it isn't true.)

If there is specific information that you need, please let me know.

Thomas
KruThomas

Postby bobk_nyc » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:30 am

Well, I just left a corporate job, that I had for 35 years, Now I would like to stay in Thailand for a while, and was looking for something to do part time. I never did college, so I guess this avenue is closed....Hahaha, maybe I will just get a type O-A, and see how that works...Thanks for your input.
bobk_nyc

Postby Marpa47 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 am

I am in healthcare, married to a Thai and considering retirement in Thailand. Your information is most helpful and with a balanced outlook. I only have an associate's degree, but this note of yours will give me a good idea what to look for in preparing for what could be something useful to do there if we do move. Thank you for the concise message.
All The Best!!!
Marpa47

Re: Teaching english in Thailand

Postby PaCarol » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:09 am

My husband and I (both American) traveled to Thailand on a multi-entry travel visa then were able to get retirement visas after taking care of the required financial arrangements. We were scouting around for volunteer opportunities to teach English with the public schools and found many, many interested schools and colleges. All were willing to provide free housing and a stipend..nothing huge. Since teaching in the Thai system, as opposed to with an NGO, is a government job, the school administrators said they could take care of the visa issue for us. While they were tempting offers, especially one a a teacher's college, we ended up doing volunteer work.

Since all work in Thailand, even volunteer work, requires a work permit, we ended up keeping our volunteer work with refugees off the records. We did receive a small stipend but put all the money back into materials for our students and justified our decision that way.

If we ever decided to return, I think we might find other ways to keep ourselves busy. There is so much to do, so much to see. It is a wonderful place and we miss it terribly.
PaCarol

Re: Teaching english in Thailand

Postby syedshah20 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:18 am

The other major problem the government has introduced is a "criminal background check" from your home country. This is easy to get if you are living in your home country. However, if you've moved here or been on the road teaching for some time, they're very difficult to get. They can't be more than 30 days old either.
http://www.testking.eu/exam/C4090-450.htm
http://saintlukescollege.edu/
http://www.emc.com/index.htm
http://www.princeton.edu/main/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama
syedshah20

Return to Work, Retire, or Study