thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

book reviews

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

book reviews

Postby kkinloch » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:50 am

Hi,
I'm wondering how the books reviewed on the reference resource were selected? I guess the reason I ask is that I don't see beginner "self-study" books there e.g. "Thai FOR BEGINNERS" by Benjamin Poomsan Becker, which is what I'm using right now. And then "EVERYDAY THAI FOR BEGINNERS" by Wiworn Kesavatana-Dohrs - I'm planning to switch to that one once I've completed the first that I mentioned.

Ken
kkinloch

Re: book reviews

Postby David and Bui » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:58 am

Thank you for your post, Ken. The purpose of the book review section of this site was to introduce foreign students to books written in Thai which would be of use to them in furthering their studies. We did not include books in English. For books in English for learning Thai, see Catherine's listings at http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/boo ... age-books/.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby kkinloch » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:07 pm

David,
Thanks for the explanation and other resources. As a suggestion, perhaps a version of your response could be added to the top of the book review page?

Ken
kkinloch

Postby Katia » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Somewhere, I feel like I've seen a review of the beginner books that lists what is good and bad about each of them, etc., and it was really helpful in getting an idea of which books I might want to get. I think it was on WLT. I can't for the life of me find it again, and I feel like I've looked all over that site. Anyone know what I'm talking about? (I've found reviews there of the grammar books, the dictionaries, etc., but the page with the language-learning books just lists them, without review.) Am I remembering something that doesn't exist? If not, does anyone know where to find it?
Katia

Postby baker » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Unless you need to learn reading and writing the Thai script, the only beginner book you need is Essential Thai by James Higbie. It's so much better than the others there's really no competition.
baker

Postby David and Bui » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Katia,

Perhaps this is the listing you are referring to: http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/boo ... age-books/
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Katia » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:10 am

baker wrote:Unless you need to learn reading and writing the Thai script, the only beginner book you need is Essential Thai by James Higbie. It's so much better than the others there's really no competition.

I'm learning both, yes. Currently learning to read/write; I'll work on speaking more once I'm there and can go to a language school where someone can listen to me and make sure I'm speaking correctly.

David and Bui wrote:Katia,

Perhaps this is the listing you are referring to: http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/boo ... age-books/

I like that list, but the one I'm thinking of has a review under each title.
Katia

Postby David and Bui » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:17 am

Katia,

Is wasn't this one, by any chance, was it? http://www.thai-language.com/book-reviews
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Katia » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:16 am

David, this is really embarrassing, but I finally found that it was this one: http://www.thai-language.com/store

I looked all over WLT, and this site, because I knew I'd seen it somewhere on one of the two... and the "store" link was the one spot on the site I DIDN'T think to look!

(The reviews are really helpful, because I'm trying to narrow down which books I want. Both because buying many can add up to a lot of money in a hurry and I'm also going to need to save some of my budget for going to school once I'm in Bangkok {and the books are not commonly available used, like on Amazon and such, to save some money}, and because I don't need too many cooks in the kitchen and will just end up getting confused/overwhelmed. I think I have it narrowed down to Thai For Beginners by Becker, perhaps the Smyth Teach Yourself Complete Thai {I have a copy on hold at the library so I can see if I like it before I buy, too} and/or Essential Thai by Higbie, and then maybe the Bua Luang compact dictionary for carrying, and maybe the Haas dictionary for home. And then probably the Higbie Thai Reference Grammar.)
Katia

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites