thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Translating simple expressions

Usage questions, bug reports, and feature requests for this web site

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Translating simple expressions

Postby Kaitiaki » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:46 am

Why is it so difficult to translate simple expressions on this site? I entered, "I am going home." in the Lookup box, and I got that page that says "No results". Why is that phrase a problem?

...so I enter, "I go home." Again, "No results." Seriously??

I went to a different translation site, and got this phrase: ฉันจะบ้าน When I returned to Thai-language.com and entered that phrase, again, "no results".

Why should I even use this site?

Doug
Kaitiaki

Re: Translating simple expressions

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:32 am

If you click >more options here you get a satisfactory answer, better than ฉันจะบ้าน at least.
edit: I forgot to say that 'to be' is not used in the English way in Thai yet, I am going home, is not right, you are a person.
So "I will go home." Gets the answer.
Same goes for "I am tired" you are not 'a tired'
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Re: Translating simple expressions

Postby bifftastic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Also, this isn't a translation site. It's a site dedicated to learning the Thai language. It does contain a dictionary, but that's not the same thing as a translation service.

The Thai language uses grammar rules, and sentence constructions, that are quite different from English.

If you click on the 'reference' or 'categories' sections, you will be able to find resources that might help you to start understanding how to begin learning.

The 'translation' you found elsewhere (ฉันจะบ้าน) didn't return any results in the search on this site because, aside from not being a translation of "I'm going home" doesn't actually mean anything in Thai (other than, perhaps "I will house" which doesn't really convey any meaning). So, despite that other site's ability to come up with that 'sentence' as a result, it wasn't what you were looking for either.

If you spend some time exploring this site, I'm hopeful that you will find it useful. You may have to slightly adjust what you're trying to do, but I for one have found it very useful in my Thai language learning.
bifftastic

Return to thai-language.com: Issues, Problems, Suggestions