thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

ฟิฟตี้เชดส์ออฟเกรย์ - 50 Shades Of Grey

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

ฟิฟตี้เชดส์ออฟเกรย์ - 50 Shades Of Grey

Postby tod-daniels » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:31 am

Has anyone (other than me :o ) bought the thai version of the book 50 Shades Of Grey? I never read the english versions, but picked up the trilogy from Se-Ed Books as I had a discount coupon. ;)

Given the price point of about 400 baht a book, I doubt thaiz will be lining up cheek to jowl to buy and/or read the book. :?

Interestingly enough I found it a pretty easy read, if somewhat overly lyrical in the use of prose-ish descriptive terms.. I did read a few reviews and it appears that's one of the down falls of the original english book too.

The translator (นันทพร ปีเลย์) appears to beat quite a few emotive terms literally to death and I'm only 1/3 of the way thru the first book.. I found it strange with so many ways to describe the same thing in the thai language that the translator decided on over using the terms they did. Now in her defense, that could be because E. L. James did the same thing too and she was tryin' to stay true to the original in that regard.

I will say the BDSM vocabulary is NOT stuff you're gonna learn in thai language class :oops: , or even from "Somchai the thai" Soi side :) . It's quite ummm "specialized" ;) but I do give high points for the creative use of how those terms are explicitly described in thai..

I just wanted to see if anyone else decided to read this book.

While it's probably not for everyone given the topic. I believe it's written at a level where a mediocre reader of thai (like me :roll: ) can get thru it pretty easily.
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Re: ฟิฟตี้เชดส์ออฟเกรย์ - 50 Shades Of Grey

Postby tod-daniels » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 am

Here's a translation seminar by Thammasat University where นันทพร ปีเลย์ spoke about translating erotic fiction;
TU Seminar in Translation 2014 - การแปลงานอีโรติค: แปลหวิวอย่างมีศิลป์
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zocrN ... _6H0lyADgA
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites