thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Good YouTube Videos for Learning Thai

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Good YouTube Videos for Learning Thai

Postby Keven » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:05 pm

In the less intermediate stages, watching movies and such isn't that efficient (too long, better things to use two hours on, etc.), but I find that watching simple and short videos is good to get accustomed to the sounds of the language.

I am trying to find simple YouTube videos, preferably with subtitles, that are good to learn Thai in the less advanced stages. A whole channel would be even better. I know there are many videos on YouTube in Thai, but something where the speakers don't speak too fast, where the subtitles can help you out and where the vocabulary isn't too advanced. Not necessarily language videos, but just useful videos that are more accessible.
Keven

Re: Good YouTube Videos for Learning Thai

Postby tod-daniels » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:26 am

The thai language school AUA (American University Alumni) in Bangkok has a TON of you tube videos available for students of thai. They use the "ALG method" (automatic language growth). They DON'T have sub-titles, but if you start from video 1, level 1 and work your way up, you'll be amazed how much thai you pick up and how much better your understanding of spoken thai gets;

Here's the link to their you tube channel; ALG World

You hafta scroll thru to find the first of their conversational videos as they have a LOT of material on their channel..
https://www.youtube.com/user/algworld/videos
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:37 am

tod-daniels wrote:The thai language school AUA (American University Alumni) in Bangkok has a TON of you tube videos available for students of thai. They use the "ALG method" (automatic language growth). They DON'T have sub-titles, but if you start from video 1, level 1 and work your way up, you'll be amazed how much thai you pick up and how much better your understanding of spoken thai gets;

You hafta scroll thru to find the first of their conversational videos as they have a LOT of material on their channel..

That is an excellent link Tod, I haven't found the conversations yet but was intrigued to learn what the seven high sonorants were so clicked it, no vision. The Thai teacher was equally puzzled when reading the English, you can almost hear the clogs engaging as he tries to work out to which พยัญชนะ 'sonorants' might refer.
He goes back to lesson 13 which explains the ข ฉ ถ ผ ฝ ส ห อักษรสูง and works out that high sonorants means หอนำ with อักษรเดียว .
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Keven » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 pm

tod-daniels wrote:The thai language school AUA (American University Alumni) in Bangkok has a TON of you tube videos available for students of thai. They use the "ALG method" (automatic language growth). They DON'T have sub-titles, but if you start from video 1, level 1 and work your way up, you'll be amazed how much thai you pick up and how much better your understanding of spoken thai gets;

Hey Tod. Yeah, found that ressource. The in-class videos are awesome.
Keven

Postby Keven » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:47 pm

What I am especially looking for are videos or shows for Thai natives with subtitles. Not news, which is a bit too formal, but more standard Thai.
Keven

Postby Ruffian Dick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm not too familiar with the ALG method, but it seems to me that emulating the language learning that a child goes through would take years of passive listening. :shock:

I can see a prospective student of a language watching foreign language dramas if no classes are immediately available, however... :?
Ruffian Dick

Postby Ruffian Dick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm seeing a little conflict here; maybe someone can help me out.
According to ALG World, it's suggested that students should just listen to conversations in the new language, without speaking; they call it "tagging along".
But the course description for AUA indicates a lot more (traditional) structure:
In class, students practice by speaking the language in a controlled setting. As a student you will be expected to actively participate in the learning process-interaction not only between teacher and student but between fellow students. Words and grammar patterns are presented for understanding and repeated to ensure proper pronunciation and tone habits. Dialogs are also practiced to increase fluency.

So is there a conflict or am I just imagining it?
Ruffian Dick

Postby Tomke__987 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 am

Keven wrote:What I am especially looking for are videos or shows for Thai natives with subtitles. Not news, which is a bit too formal, but more standard Thai.

Maybe try watching the serie Travelers on Netflix on a Thai Netflix subscription. After changing your netflix to Thai native, you can watch the serie Travelers with either English or Thai(dubbed / synchronized Thai) sound, and/or use either English or Thai subtitles. Great for every level of learning Thai. And far less boring then Youtube instruction videos, Thai lakorn series, or any Thai series for that matter :D

(Search with 'audio in Thai' and Netflix will show you a complete list of all content available with Thai dubbed sound.)

There are many views/studies on 'Best way to learn'. I always prefer a somewhat scientific approach. I've read The Third Ear by Chris Lonsdale. It is just
one of the many views how to learn, but I found it usefull.

This TED-talk gives you a quick insight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0
Tomke__987

Postby Naga » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:50 am

Kudos to AUA. They put their AGL series on-line. I took course with them back in 2007 and my personal feelings about AGL is that it's an age-dependent learning strategy. AGL is how kids younger than 4 learn language and is highly effective. But after 4 the efficacy diminished. At 55 I found the classes interesting, but knew I'd never learn by using only that method. And I believe that here in 2020 so many years later I've proved that to be true as I've lived as the only farang in a Thai village totally immersed - and I'm far, far, far from being fluent. If AGL worked with everyone, I should be speaking fluent Thai.
But. AUA's AGL learning course combined with other modalities of learning suddenly become a much richer option. Seeing that AUA has put their courses online I may go back and revisit them. And regarding AUA Thai instructors, these guys and gals rock. They are way ahead of their compatriots who teach Thai to foreigners in other venues. They must have a Thai equivalent of the TESOL training course for their Thai instructors. They are animated as opposed to the boring, rote learning strategy that is used in other Thai language courses. Kudos again!

And a direct link to the videos at AUA: http://auathai.com/videos
Naga

Postby David and Bui » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Thank you, Khun Naga
David in Houston
David and Bui

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites