thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Need Help in Clarification.

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Need Help in Clarification.

Postby joeaw » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi,

Can members here clarify for me?

My female Thai friend tell me I am her FAN.

Then she typed FAN = T-RAK.

I would assume that T-RAK means Teerak of which I understand.

But is there another word for Teerak? Which is FAN? As referred by her.
joeaw

Re: Need Help in Clarification.

Postby David and Bui » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 pm

From the Royal Institute Dictionary:

ที่รัก น. คนรัก, คำแบบแสดงถึงความสุภาพ ความเคารพ ความนับถือเวลาพูดในที่ชุมนุมชนเป็นต้น เช่น พี่น้องที่รักทั้งหลาย หรือในจดหมายที่มีไปถึงผู้ที่คุ้นเคยกัน เช่น แดงที่รัก.
" 'Thi rak' noun. a person who is loved; a word used in a polite and respectful context when speaking to a group. For example, 'My dear ladies and gentlemen . . .' or in a letter written to someone in a close relationship, for example, 'Dear Dang.' "

I suspect that the use of "Thi Rak" as a pronoun substitute is a recent innovation in Thai and perhaps is derivative of the foreign English use of "Darling" when speaking of one's spouse or significant other. I cannot recall hearing a Thai refer to his or her spouse as ที่รัก.

I would appreciate hearing from others if the contrary is true.

"แฟน", on the other hand is commonly used to describe everything from one's spouse to a close friend. Again from the RID:

แฟน (ปาก) . ผู้นิยมชมชอบ เช่น แฟนเพลง แฟนภาพยนตร์ แฟนมวย, ผู้เป็นที่ชอบพอรักใคร่, คู่รัก, สามีหรือภรรยา.
" 'Fan' (spoken language) noun. someone who one habitually praises or appreciates, for example, 'a fan of a particular song', 'a movie fan', 'a boxing fan'. A person for whom one has particular affection, a lover, a husband or wife."
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Need Help in Clarification.

Postby mangkorn » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 am

David: I'm not sure how recent ที่รัก is, but it may well derive from "darling." I think you're right about it not being common between Thai couples, at least in spoken language. I've never heard it in that context either. It seems to be used mostly (if not exclusively) by females to address foreign men that they are "going with..." It's not much of a stretch between that and "you a handsome man."

And let's face it, it's mostly from prostitutes. I do know from some Isan women who have been in or around that trade that there is also a kind of code, an inside joke of disparagement, when one of them is walking with an unattractive client (or "boyfriend,"if one really insists on that word) past other Isan girls in public places like Sukhumvit: ดากลิง

To the uneducated farang's ear that will register as "darling," but is actually Isan dialect for "monkey ass."

Alternatively, some would say หน้าลิง

I know only because I overheard it a few times, when I was first studying and sometimes hung out at food stalls along Sukhumvit. So I began mentioning it to Isan women, who expressed surprise and perhaps even a bit of embarrassment that I had sussed it out. "You're not supposed to know that! That's ours!" some of them said, laughing. I told them their secret was safe with me, because I found it quite funny and clever.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Return to Advanced Translation