thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

brainstorm

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: brainstorm

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:32 pm

Pirin wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:

That is interesting, do you think that Thai grammar is different from English grammar?

Pirin wrote:

Do you think that a commercial aircraft is different from a military aircraft?

You might not realise that both questions are not easy to answer. To give a short answer, both of us can say either yes or no when asked.

Then if we are willing to explain why we say yes or no to those questions, our explanation can last as long as 1,000 pages.

Much simpler than that surely. The difference between commercial and military aircraft is simple; one is engaged in commerce and the other is engaged in combat.
My question is equally simple: คุณTgeezerชอบตีความประโยคต่าง ๆ ในภาษาไทย ด้วยการอ้างอิงไวยาการณ์ภาษาอังกฤษ is the statement which I took to refer to a specific argument which I had made using English grammar with which you take issue. My question implies that what I did is valid and I am asking you to, firstly, assert that there is a difference between English and Thai grammar and secondly to point out how that difference invalidates what I did.
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm sorry for my ignorance of these grammar questions, but perhaps we can restate Tgeezer's grammar question as follows:

"How is a particular idea being communicated by a writer expressed using 1. English vocabulary and grammatical principles and 2. Thai vocabulary and grammatical principles?"

The subjects of structural grammar and comparative grammar are too academic and cerebral for my small mind.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 am

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 am

David and Bui wrote:I'm sorry for my ignorance of these grammar questions, but perhaps we can restate Tgeezer's grammar question as follows:

"How is a particular idea being communicated by a writer expressed using 1. English vocabulary and grammatical principles and 2. Thai vocabulary and grammatical principles?"

The subjects of structural grammar and comparative grammar are too academic and cerebral for my small mind.

Thank you for trying to narrow the field but It is not a wide question. Presumably there are some examples of conclusions I have drawn using English grammar principles, we simply need Pirin to show how a different conclusion would be drawn using Thai principles in one or more of those cases.
I think that it is highly likely that by assigning a role to a word and deriving its meaning from that construction is wrong but I am using the rules of Thai grammar when I do it. ie. verbs come between subject and object, modifying words come after nouns, helping verbs come first etc. some of those differ from English.
An example which we can discuss narrows the field very well I think.
My reasoning says that: อย่าลืมส่งจดหมายที่สำคัญมาก do not forget to send the letter which is important.
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:16 am

Pirin wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:What do people feel about เขาชอบ ?
I have a feeling that if you say 'they like' it excludes yourself and allows for a negative connotation.

My reply to this post,
"ชอบ can be used to modify a verb to mean that one is expected to do the same thing regularly.

For example, คุณTgeezerชอบตีความประโยคต่าง ๆ ในภาษาไทย ด้วยการอ้างอิงไวยาการณ์ภาษาอังกฤษ."

This is just to say that every post of mine (starting from the reply to the above question) should have been deleted. I didn't realize at all that I was not able to interpret the question or comment. Whatever I have written do put me into the unwelcoming area.

I apologize for being truely ignorant.

I'm myself a “กบในกะลา”.

Not at all Pirin absolutely. Your input is the only true input we have and we rely on you to give us your interpretation of what you read. I can not rely on books alone and remember I am using an out of date dictionary and my grammar comes from school books which necessarily teach correct Thai!
We can have a very good discussion I am sure if we remember that grammar is what people actually use not what someone has recorded them use in the past.
Tgeezer

Previous

Return to Advanced Translation