thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

“The Language Crisis”

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: “The Language Crisis”

Postby David and Bui » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:50 am

Khun Pirin,

Pirin wrote:5. แม้ว่ามีคนที่เป็นห่วงกับคุณภาพของภาษาอังกฤษลดลงและอยู่ในวิกฤตตลอด is ungrammatical and unclear.

It might be 'แม้ว่าจะมีคนที่มีความกังวลเกี่ยวกับคุณภาพของภาษาอังกฤษ และเห็นว่าคุณภาพของภาษาอังกฤษนั้นลดลงและอยู่ในภาวะวิกฤตตลอด'

I went back and checked with the original, and indeed Professor Shintaro used the words as stated. I certainly wish one of his Thai colleagues would have corrected his Thai expression before he printed his essay on his blog. The reference is http://blogazine.in.th/blogs/shintaro/post/4946?page=1

Than you for the clarification.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 am

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:22 am

David and Bui wrote:For Tod:

เสียงจากแดนปาตานี

วิกฤตของภาษา”, โดย อาจารย์ ฮารา ชินทาโร, 30 กรกฎาคม, 2014

1. ตั้งแต่มีหนังสือพิมพ์ ชาวอังกฤษแสดงความเห็นกันว่า ภาษาอังกฤษอยู่ในภาวะวิกฤตโดยอ้างว่า ผู้ใช้ภาษาอังกฤษมีการออกเสียงไม่ถูกต้อง หรือมีการสะกดผิดมากมาย

2. แนวคิดแบบนี้มีอยู่ในเกือบทุกภาษา

3. ผู้ใช้ของภาษาใดภาษาหนึ่ง โดยเฉพาะบรรดาเจ้าของภาษาที่หวังดีกับภาษาของตน เป็นห่วงกับคุณภาพการใช้ภาษาในสังคม

4. ซึ่งตามสายตาของพวกเขา มีแต่การเสื่อมในเรื่องการออกเสียง การสะกดหรือการใช้คำที่พากเขามองว่าไม่ถูกต้อง

Thanks I agree with Tod , I like to read without a translation but also I can't usually get any more than a gist of the meaning anyway.
I admire Pirin for trying, but surely the whole tenure of the piece is that comprehension trumps scholarship so perhaps we should try to understand it as it stands or run the risk of being labelled a dinosaur! :D
English speakers are perhaps qualified to do this since English has the greater influence on Thai.
I looked at 3&4
3. ผู้ใช้ของภาษาใดภาษาหนึ่ง โดยเฉพาะบรรดาเจ้าของภาษาที่หวังดีกับภาษาของตน เป็นห่วงกับคุณภาพการใช้ภาษาในสังคม

4. ซึ่งตามสายตาของพวกเขา มีแต่การเสื่อมในเรื่องการออกเสียง การสะกดหรือการใช้คำที่พวกเขามองว่าไม่ถูกต้อง

The group which ที่ refers to must be: "a language's speakers, especially native speakers, ที่ (who) หวังดี" (the dinosaurs ?) as opposed to the rest of a "language's speakers especially native speakers who don't หวังดี" (the real people according to Tod) . เป็น are concerned about "language quality" in society, which in their eyes has nothing but deterioration in diction etc. which they consider to be "incorrect".
It is very difficult without your translation before me but is this the gist of what you have?
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank you for your response, Tgeezer. From now on, I will post the original, without translation, of any interesting article I find.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:10 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Pirin wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:
David and Bui wrote:...

I admire Pirin for trying, but surely the whole tenure of the piece is that comprehension trumps scholarship so perhaps we should try to understand it as it stands or run the risk of being labelled a dinosaur! :D

พูดไปทำไมมี

I say it because language changes and if you can correct a simple thing like ' I could of killed him' by 'I could have killed him' then you must have understood, so communication was successful. I was discussing this as your reply came in today, with a schoolboy in the sixth form and he assures me that this is the reasoning used in schools today and that 'of' is now taught! It appears that the same reasoning could develop in Thailand, in fact doesn't the article hint of it? I certainly would be considered a dinosaur because I refuse to abandon everything hard learnt at school and I assume that you feel the same way.
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Tgeezer,

Thank you for clarifying the "dinosaur" comment. I was having difficulty understanding the use of the term in this context. I think it is helpful to consider language change and "correctness" as a continuum, rather than as a binary mechanism. Here, for example, is one scale used to determine where along a path of acceptance a word, phrase, spelling, or grammar element is:

Stage 1 (“rejected”): A new form emerges as an innovation (or a dialectal form persists) among a small minority of the language community, perhaps displacing a traditional usage (e.g.: “corroborate” misused for “collaborate”).

Stage 2 (“widely shunned”): The form spreads to a significant fraction of the language community but remains unacceptable in standard usage (e.g.: “incredulous” misused for “incredible”).

Stage 3 (“widespread but . . .”): The form becomes commonplace even among many well-educated people but is still avoided in careful usage (e.g.: “acumen” accented on the first syllable).

Stage 4 (“ubiquitous but . . .”): The form becomes virtually universal but is opposed on cogent grounds by a few linguistic stalwarts (die-hard snoots) (e.g.: “podium” misused for “lectern”).

Stage 5 (“fully accepted”): The form is universally accepted (not counting pseudo-snoot eccentrics) (e.g.: “wisteria” in American English).

(source: http://www.lawprose.org/blog/?p=1242)
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:19 am

Pirin wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:

I say it because language changes and if you can correct a simple thing like ' I could of killed him' by 'I could have killed him' then you must have understood, so communication was successful. I was discussing this as your reply came in today, with a schoolboy in the sixth form and he assures me that this is the reasoning used in schools today and that 'of' is now taught! It appears that the same reasoning could develop in Thailand, in fact doesn't the article hint of it? I certainly would be considered a dinosaur because I refuse to abandon everything hard learnt at school and I assume that you feel the same way.

Feel free to think that I asked you a question.

Thanks Pirin, now I may learn something. What I saw: verb- verb- question word-verb or modifier. Speak without stopping why have.
มี (have) is a problem so I just ignored it?
I welcome other members participation in understanding what you wrote, failing that, are you able to put it into English?
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 am

David and Bui wrote:Tgeezer,

Thank you for clarifying the "dinosaur" comment. I was having difficulty understanding the use of the term in this context. I think it is helpful to consider language change and "correctness" as a continuum, rather than as a binary mechanism. Here, for example, is one scale used to determine where along a path of acceptance a word, phrase, spelling, or grammar element is:

Stage 1 (“rejected”): A new form emerges as an innovation (or a dialectal form persists) among a small minority of the language community, perhaps displacing a traditional usage (e.g.: “corroborate” misused for “collaborate”).

Stage 2 (“widely shunned”): The form spreads to a significant fraction of the language community but remains unacceptable in standard usage (e.g.: “incredulous” misused for “incredible”).

Stage 3 (“widespread but . . .”): The form becomes commonplace even among many well-educated people but is still avoided in careful usage (e.g.: “acumen” accented on the first syllable).

Stage 4 (“ubiquitous but . . .”): The form becomes virtually universal but is opposed on cogent grounds by a few linguistic stalwarts (die-hard snoots) (e.g.: “podium” misused for “lectern”).

Stage 5 (“fully accepted”): The form is universally accepted (not counting pseudo-snoot eccentrics) (e.g.: “wisteria” in American English).

(source: http://www.lawprose.org/blog/?p=1242)

Thanks I have seen that before, it is quite good, not biased in any way: "pseudo-snoot eccentrics" !
Provided the 'pseudo-snoot eccentrics' can still be understood there is no problem but when the progressives are unable to understand them, then communication has failed.
The best language can be is simple and succinct, when people are illiterate they can't read so they hear "could've"(could have) and interpret it as "could of" later when they learn to read they are expected to notice and correct themselves. I was horrified to hear that teachers can teach "could of", I can only explain 'of' in this context as ignorance, your reference above is another way of justifying it as far as I am concerned.
Tgeezer

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Translation