thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Illegal fishing

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Illegal fishing

Postby pakarang » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi everyone! Just wondering how people would render the following sentence from a Bangkok Post article and, specifically, whether it is actually suggesting that 10-12% of the raw material used to produce fishmeal (ปลาป่น) is from vessels fishing illegally?

ปัญหาIUU ที่สหภาพยุโรปจะให้ใบเหลืองกับไทยในเดือน ก.. นี้ หลังจากนั้นอีก 6 เดือน หากไทยไม่สามารถแก้ปัญหากรณีเรือผิดกฎหมายที่กุ้งพ่วงไปด้วยจากการใช้ปลาป่นเป็นวัตถุดิบอาหารกุ้ง ซึ่งปลาป่นเหล่านี้มีการใช้ปลามาจากเรือผิดกฎหมายมาผลิต ประมาณ 10-12 % ดังนั้นกรมประมงจะต้องรีบแก้ไขเพื่อไม่ให้ไทยได้ใบแดง สินค้าประมงทุกชนิดจะถูกระงับไม่ให้ส่งออกในตลาดอียู

Source: http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/home/deta ... B8%99.html
pakarang

Re: Illegal fishing

Postby David and Bui » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks for showing us that article. I had never heard of the "IUU" which stands for "Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated" fishing.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby David and Bui » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:10 pm

First, let's look at the word ปลาป่น, fish meal. This is a good explanation from a website (translation is mine):

ปลาป่นเป็นวัตถุดิบอาหารสัตว์
“Fish meal” is raw material for animal feed.

เป็นแหล่งโปรตีนที่สำคัญสำหรับการเจริญเติบโตของสัตว์เศรษฐกิจต่าง ๆ
[It] is an important source of protein to encourage development and growth for various types of commercial livestock.

โปรตีนจากปลา เป็นโปรตีนที่ย่อยง่าย
Fish-sourced protein is easily digestible.

สัตว์เลี้ยงหรือสัตว์เศรษฐกิจต่าง ๆ สามารถดูดซึม และใช้ประโยชน์จากกรดอะมิโน ที่มีอยู่ในปลาป่นได้อย่างเต็มที่
All kinds of domesticated animals and commercial livestock are able to absorb and fully benefit from the amino acids which are in the fish meal.

ทำให้สัตว์เลี้ยงหรือสัตว์เศรษฐกิจเจริญเติบโตได้ดี
This allows domesticated animals and livestock to achieve good growth.

อีกทั้งไขมันในปลาป่น ยังมีโอเมก้า 3 ซึ่งเป็นกรดไขมัน ที่จำเป็นสำหรับสัตว์ทุกประเภท
In addition, the fat in fish meal contains Omega 3 which is a fatty acid necessary for all species.

http://www.siamproteins.co.th/index.asp ... 5380032956
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby David and Bui » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Pakarang,

I, too, am having some difficulty with these sentences. Here is what I think, but it seems that I am missing some clauses:

ปัญหา IUU ที่สหภาพยุโรปจะให้ใบเหลืองกับไทยในเดือน ก.. นี้
[Due to the] problem of “illegal, unreported, and unregulated [fishing]”, the European Union will be issuing a warning to Thailand this February.

หลังจากนั้นอีก 6 เดือน หากไทยไม่สามารถแก้ปัญ หากรณีเรือผิดกฎหมายที่กุ้งพ่วงไปด้วยจากการใช้ปลาป่นเป็นวัตถุดิบอาหารกุ้ง
After six months, if Thailand is not able to solve this problem and find those instances of illegal fishing boats with which shrimp are associated with by dint of the fact that the shrimp are raised through the use of this illegally obtained fish meal [then seafood bans may be imposed.]

ซึ่งปลาป่นเหล่านี้มีการใช้ปลามาจากเรือผิดกฎหมายมาผลิต ประมาณ 10-12 %
[It appears that] approximately 10-12% of this fish meal is manufactured from fish which comes from boats which operate illegally.

ดังนั้นกรมประมงจะต้องรีบแก้ไขเพื่อไม่ให้ไทยได้ใบแดง
Therefore, the Fisheries Department needs to make haste to solve this problem so that Thailand will not be banned.

สินค้าประมงทุกชนิดจะถูกระงับไม่ให้ส่งออกในตลาดอียู
The export of all kinds of seafood would be prevented from entering markets in the EU.

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:47 am

David and Bui wrote:Thanks for showing us that article. I had never heard of the "IUU" which stands for "Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated" fishing.

เบบ must describe the problem surely, personally I would ignore it since it is in different type.
I am reading ปัญหาเบบที่ as ปัญหาเบบคือ which may not be what the writer intends.
I think that the problem is actually the EU issuance of a ใบเหลือง in Feb. for a situation which Thailand has six months to correct.
For the sake of discussion, I think that ปัญหาเบบ says baby problem (small problem ? ) This problem has the potential, if conditions are not changed, to become a bigger problem, namely ประเทศไทยได้ใบแดง
Perhaps a native speaker can tell us what เบบ says to them.

Edit:I am also interested in กุ้งพ่วงด้วย
On re-reading I can see many levels of problem, the fact that แก้ไข is in the power of Thailand would seem to make the problem illegal fishing but I still feel that the thing that the 'Dept. of fishery' is interested in is the restriction of export of prawns to the EU.
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:02 am

IUU and fisheries:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ia/iuu/iuu_overview.html

http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/illeg ... dex_en.htm
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:41 am

David and Bui wrote:IUU and fisheries:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ia/iuu/iuu_overview.html

http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/illeg ... dex_en.htm

I wondered why it was in weird type!
So the writer is mixing English and Thai for which I need to know how football is reported which I don't.
ปัญหา iuu ที่สหภาพยุโรบจะให้ใบเหลืองกับไทย

The EU shows a yellow card to Thailand for IUU.
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 am

pakarang wrote:Hi everyone! Just wondering how people would render the following sentence from a Bangkok Post article and, specifically, whether it is actually suggesting that 10-12% of the raw material used to produce fishmeal (ปลาป่น) is from vessels fishing illegally?

ปัญหาIUU ที่สหภาพยุโรปจะให้ใบเหลืองกับไทยในเดือน ก.. นี้ หลังจากนั้นอีก 6 เดือน หากไทยไม่สามารถแก้ปัญหากรณีเรือผิดกฎหมายที่กุ้งพ่วงไปด้วยจากการใช้ปลาป่นเป็นวัตถุดิบอาหารกุ้ง ซึ่งปลาป่นเหล่านี้มีการใช้ปลามาจากเรือผิดกฎหมายมาผลิต ประมาณ 10-12 % ดังนั้นกรมประมงจะต้องรีบแก้ไขเพื่อไม่ให้ไทยได้ใบแดง สินค้าประมงทุกชนิดจะถูกระงับไม่ให้ส่งออกในตลาดอียู

Source: http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/home/deta ... B8%99.html

The EU will show Thailand a yellow card for the problem of IUU this February giving Thailand six months to solve the problem. The fact that prawn farming is dragged in as well, since 10-12% of the fish meal used as a component of food in prawn farming is produced from fish caught by illegal boats means that the department of fisheries will have to hurry to solve the problem in order not to get a red card preventing fishery products of all types from being exported to the EU market.
Tgeezer

Postby pakarang » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Thank you to David and Bui and tgeezer for the translations, which were similar to mine and thus very reassuring. My apologies for always being so slow in replying to posts!

The key focus of the article is indeed the expected issuing of a yellow card to Thailand from the European Commission following its inadequate response to the widespread IUU "pirate" fishing of its coastal and distant water fleets.

I needed to get absolute clarity on this excerpt for work purposes (I've been writing a report on these issues: overfishing, IUU fishing and human trafficking and modern slavery in Thailand), so thank you all. Once public available, I'll be happy to share with anyone who is interested and really do appreciate the support of this fantastic online community.
pakarang

Postby David and Bui » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Thank you, Pakarang. We will be interested to see your final product.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Return to Advanced Translation