thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

"ไม่อั้น"

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

"ไม่อั้น"

Postby David and Bui » Mon May 23, 2016 7:47 am

Friends,

Please help me with the following sentence from an old newspaper:

"[เขา]ประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบายๆ"

My question is about the juxtaposition of the words "พอใช้" and "ไม่อั้น". These two phrases seem to connote opposite meanings, the first meaning "enough to live on" whereas the second means "without limits". Do I misunderstand the sentence?

1. He always stated that doing business in foreign countries can easily earn a modest profit."

2. He always stated that doing business in foreign countries allows one to easily earn unlimited amount of profits."

Or, does "ไม่อั้น" mean "freely, without restrictions"

3. He always stated that doing business in foreign countries allows one to generate profits easily and without restrictions."

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: "ไม่อั้น"

Postby Tgeezer » Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Wouldn't you think that พอใช้ revers to the profits and ไม่อั้น revers to ได้กำไร?
กำไรพอใช้ and ได้ไม่อั้น I mean.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Kurozero77 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Maybe, this one is an old writing style.

Let's separate the sentence in to small parts.

[เขา] / ประกาศ / ตลอดเวลา / ว่า / ไป / ทำธุรกิจ / ต่างประเทศ / ได้กำไร / มาพอ / ใช้ไม่อั้น / แบบสบายๆ

He always says that going to do business oversea, [he] gains profit which is enough to spend freely and easily.

Note : "แบบสบายๆ" is not so clear. It can be two meanings which modify different parts :
1. "ได้กำไร แบบสบายๆ" - Easily gain profit; or
2. "ใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบายๆ" - Comfortably use money / use money without hesitation. (My translation used the second meaning.)
Kurozero77

Postby theoldman » Mon May 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello David,

First, as a Native Thai, I have to say that this sentence is rather bad (in Thai). And Kurozero77 made a good point. The problem seems to be about:

1. "ได้กำไร แบบสบายๆ" - Easily gain profit; or
2. "ใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบายๆ" - Comfortably use money without limits.

Anyway, let's rewrite this sentence a bit:

"[เขา]ประกาศตลอดเวลาว่า ไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศ
He always stated that (going and) doing business in foreign countries

ได้กำไรมาแบบสบายๆ
can earn a (much/huge) profit easily

(มาก) พอ (จน) ใช้ (ได้) ไม่อั้น
enough to be able to use that money (profit) without limits/restrictions.
theoldman

Postby David and Bui » Tue May 24, 2016 2:15 am

Thank you all. It is interesting to note that sometimes lack of clarity is a function of poor articulation by the author.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Tue May 24, 2016 5:56 am

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

Please help me with the following sentence from an old newspaper:

"[เขา]ประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบาย ๆ"

I'm curious to see two sentences: the one preceeding this one and the other one that follows it. Could you show them, please?
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Tue May 24, 2016 6:24 am

"ในช่วงที่ผ่านมาพรรคเพื่อไทยเตรียมความพร้อมไว้สูงยิ่งทั้งจากสมาชิกพรรค ซึ่งผู้มีชื่อเสียงทยอยเข้าร่วมเรื่อยๆ กำลังทุนทรัพย์ซึ่ง พ...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบายๆ และการจัดตั้งฐานเสียงที่ทำไว้อย่างแน่นหนา ผ่านขบวนการเสื้อแดง"

วันที่ 25 ตุลาคม พ.. 2552 ปีที่ 32 ฉบับที่ 11551 มติชนรายวัน, "ทักษิณ ชินวัตร" ทุบหม้อข้าวตีเมือง, คอลัมน์ โครงร่างตำนานคน, โดย การ์ตอง
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Tue May 24, 2016 7:08 am

David and Bui wrote:"ในช่วงที่ผ่านมาพรรคเพื่อไทยเตรียมความพร้อมไว้สูงยิ่งทั้งจากสมาชิกพรรค ซึ่งผู้มีชื่อเสียงทยอยเข้าร่วมเรื่อยๆ กำลังทุนทรัพย์ซึ่ง พ...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบายๆ และการจัดตั้งฐานเสียงที่ทำไว้อย่างแน่นหนา ผ่านขบวนการเสื้อแดง"

วันที่ 25 ตุลาคม พ.. 2552 ปีที่ 32 ฉบับที่ 11551 มติชนรายวัน, "ทักษิณ ชินวัตร" ทุบหม้อข้าวตีเมือง, คอลัมน์ โครงร่างตำนานคน, โดย การ์ตอง

ในช่วงที่ผ่านมาพรรคเพื่อไทยเตรียมความพร้อมไว้สูงยิ่ง
ทั้งจาก
สมาชิกพรรค ซึ่งผู้มีชื่อเสียงทยอยเข้าร่วมเรื่อย ๆ
กำลังทุนทรัพย์ซึ่ง พ...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบาย ๆ
และ
การจัดตั้งฐานเสียงที่ทำไว้อย่างแน่นหนา ผ่านขบวนการเสื้อแดง"

กำลังทุนทรัพย์(ซึ่ง (...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมา)พอใช้)(ไม่อั้น แบบสบาย ๆ)
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Thu May 26, 2016 6:32 am

Pirin wrote:
David and Bui wrote:"ในช่วงที่ผ่านมาพรรคเพื่อไทยเตรียมความพร้อมไว้สูงยิ่งทั้งจากสมาชิกพรรค ซึ่งผู้มีชื่อเสียงทยอยเข้าร่วมเรื่อยๆ กำลังทุนทรัพย์ซึ่ง พ...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบายๆ และการจัดตั้งฐานเสียงที่ทำไว้อย่างแน่นหนา ผ่านขบวนการเสื้อแดง"

ทั้งจาก
กำลังทุนทรัพย์ซึ่ง พ...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมาพอใช้ไม่อั้น แบบสบาย ๆ
และ

กำลังทุนทรัพย์(ซึ่ง (...ทักษิณประกาศตลอดเวลาว่าไปทำธุรกิจต่างประเทศได้กำไรมา)พอใช้)(ไม่อั้น แบบสบาย ๆ)

Well, this has really "rolled a boulder" over the discussion!
I was hoping that someone might come up with a few English equivalents for the fancy words so that we might be able to unravel it.
I will make a start.
1. ในช่วงที่ผ่านมาพรรคเพื่อไทยเตรียมความพร้อมไว้สูงยิ่ง ทั้งจาก... In the recent past the "For Thai party' prepared readiness high very much all from...
1.2 สมาชิกพรรค ซึ่งผู้มีชื่อเสียงทยอยเข้าร่วมเรื่อย ๆ
members of the party which famous people are continually joining in.
และ
Power (of) capital resources which Lt.col.of police Taksin has always said goes to business abroad get profit to use unrestrained,
Building political influence which has been done firmly beyond the redshirt movement.
I don't know where to slot in the modifiers here: Capital power which is sufficient, police Lt. Col. Taksin has always said has brought unrestricted profit, a happy system.

I don't pretend that this makes any sense but I am not embarrassed by that, I suspect that most ordinary Thai people will only have a vague idea? To those who have followed recent history many of these words would have become familiar by now, although it seems that English equivalents are yet to be made up.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am

Tgeezer wrote:
Pirin wrote:

ทั้งจาก
และ

Well, this has really "rolled a boulder" over the discussion!
I was hoping that someone might come up with a few English equivalents for the fancy words so that we might be able to unravel it.
I will make a start.
1. ในช่วงที่ผ่านมาพรรคเพื่อไทยเตรียมความพร้อมไว้สูงยิ่ง ทั้งจาก... In the recent past the "For Thai party' prepared readiness high very much all from...
1.2 สมาชิกพรรค ซึ่งผู้มีชื่อเสียงทยอยเข้าร่วมเรื่อย ๆ
members of the party which famous people are continually joining in.
และ
Power (of) capital resources which Lt.col.of police Taksin has always said goes to business abroad get profit to use unrestrained,
Building political influence which has been done firmly beyond the redshirt movement.
I don't know where to slot in the modifiers here: Capital power which is sufficient, police Lt. Col. Taksin has always said has brought unrestricted profit, a happy system.

I don't pretend that this makes any sense but I am not embarrassed by that, I suspect that most ordinary Thai people will only have a vague idea? To those who have followed recent history many of these words would have become familiar by now, although it seems that English equivalents are yet to be made up.

เมื่อคุณพยายามแปลข้อความข้างต้น คนอื่น ๆ ก็ทราบว่าคุณกำลังพยายามทำความเข้าใจข้อความนั้นทั้ง ๆ ที่มันเป็นข้อความที่ค่อนข้างจะยากสำหรับคุณ ดังนั้นความพยายามของคุณก็ไม่ถือว่าเป็นการตำน้ำพริกละลายแม่น้ำ แต่เป็นความพยายามที่ดีในเบื้องต้น คุณกำลังพยายามฝนทั่งให้เป็นเข็มต่างหากเล่า

Because I'm to busy at the moment, I'll discuss the meaning of the original text later.

RID:
ตำน้ำพริกละลายแม่น้ำ (สํา) . ลงทุนไปโดยได้ผลประโยชน์ไม่คุ้มทุน, ใช้จ่ายทรัพย์ในทางที่ไม่เกิดประโยชน์, เสียทรัพย์จำนวนมากไปโดยโดยไม่ได้ประโยชน์.
ฝนทั่งให้เป็นเข็ม (สํา) . เพียรพยายามสุดความสามารถจนกว่าจะสําเร็จผล.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Next

Return to Advanced Translation