thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

หยอด vs เหยาะ

Given names, nicknames, boxing monikers, tattoos

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: หยอด vs เหยาะ

Postby Tgeezer » Sat May 13, 2017 5:50 am

I suppose that you are drinking 'Americano' Alan, I generally drink esspresso in Amazon when we are 'on the road'.
I have found that Thai has made me to look at spoken English with a more critical eye and I have noticed that the older I get, the 'worse' spoken English becomes, not only that, the benchmark, how I speak, doesn't make grammatical sense either! The result of this analysis coupled with my old 2525 dictionary which I have been refering to for some twenty odd years makes me look at Thai with a critical eye also.
Twenty or more years and I can still barely speak the language! This is the curse of being a native English speaker. Thai has become little more than a passtime, like a puzzle this site which I should have left behind years ago still entertains me even when I get no response.

I am sure that formal education is the answer to learning a language, I can still picture a teacher at the AUA in the eighties, "ช้างเล็กกว่าหนูใช่ไหม" "ไม่ใช่ หนูเล็กกว่าช้างต่างหาก " . Never used "in anger" since that time, so I hope that I have got that right, anyway it makes me ask about another word from that era, รบกวน.
ขอรบกวนหน่อย to be used with a policeman or civil servant when you want attention, "Sorry to trouble you but.... " Naturally รบกวน isn't taken literally there but niether does it appear to be in you example. How do you interpret รบกวนเหยาะ... ?

เหยาะนำ้ร้อน> นำ้รอนถูกเหยาะ >นำ้ร้อนเหยาะ is how verbs become adjectives rather than nouns in my opinion, but I suppose it is a matter of opinion.

As you said earlier " We need the video" or I would say a teacher, so I would favour asking the person doing the pouring if they are not busy. I know that this is difficult because they may well not be Thai, also they are not teachers. The thing is that if you can engage the staff on points like this you would probably get lots of different ways of saying the same thing and learn a lot more.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Alan » Sun May 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes, TGZ, I agree with you, engaging the staff and doing some real boots-on-the ground field work is the way to go. ภาคทฤษฎีหมดเวลาแล้ว ได้เวลาจะลุยภาคปฏิบัตินี่ :) And I agree that there are probably many ways to describe what I'd like the person behind the counter to do. How did you know I drink Americano? เล่นของเหรอเนี่ย :shock:
Alan

Postby Tgeezer » Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I was told that americano is watered down espresso. I assumed that because In the USA coffee came out of a filter machine and was called coffee, in order to get it from an espresso machine water needed to be added and it given a foreign sounding name.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Previous

Return to Basic Translation