thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Grammar and future

Given names, nicknames, boxing monikers, tattoos

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Grammar and future

Postby Thomas » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:37 pm

My Thai grammar knowledge are limited. For this reason I would like to know how to translate the following (example) sentence into Thai:

***The wheather will be fine but tomorrow it will be ugly/rainy/cold.***

The first 'will' in the sense the (more) advance future, the second in the nearest future. Supposedly it has not to be indicated since just stated with tomorrow/phrung ni (so that also in English it may sound better to use 'is' in-stead of the second 'will be'?!
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Re: Grammar and future

Postby Pirin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Thomas wrote:My Thai grammar knowledge are limited. For this reason I would like to know how to translate the following (example) sentence into Thai:

***The wheather will be fine but tomorrow it will be ugly/rainy/cold.***

The first 'will' in the sense the (more) advance future, the second in the nearest future. Supposedly it has not to be indicated since just stated with tomorrow/phrung ni (so that also in English it may sound better to use 'is' in-stead of the second 'will be'?!

As for the use of verbs in Thai, I don't think it is as complicated as the use of those in either German or English.

The weather will be fine but tomorrow it will be ugly/rainy/cold.
ในภาพรวม/โดยทั่วไปแล้วอากาศ(ที่นี่)จะดี แต่ในวันพรุ่งนี้เป็นไปได้ว่ามันจะไม่ค่อยดี/มันคงจะแย่
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Thomas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Thank you very much, Khun Pirin.

I fully agree with your remark as to Thai grammar in relation to English (+/- German). My question here in the forum derived from a small talk with my mother-in-law on our terace. She stay her first time in Germany, and likes very much the wheather here (which is not so difficult to understand since it is spring). She enjoyed so much the sun outside without being so hot as in Thailand. To soften slightly her enthusiasm I quoted the wheather report which had announced rain (and colder wheather) for the next day. The further message I tried to say in Thai was ... but in the long run of this spring the "issue wheather" will improve - indeed.

Reading your suggestion ในภาพรวม I feel that I should amend my vocabulary further prior to ask too much questions as to Thai grammar itself.

Btw: Reading ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ and speaking about the subject of a small talk at once: When to say อากาศ and when to say ลม for air - in the sense "the air that we breath"?

As a question: How to say in Thai: Although the wheather is (overall) good, the air (we breath) is bad/too dry/too humid.

Has not to be a complete translation but I have difficulties in Thai to speak about "air" precisely in-stead of "wheather" in more general.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Postby Pirin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 am

Thomas wrote:

As a question: How to say in Thai: Although the wheather is (overall) good, the air (we breath) is bad/too dry/too humid.

Has not to be a complete translation but I have difficulties in Thai to speak about "air" precisely in-stead of "wheather" in more general.

When it is known that you can work harder to find the preferred answer to this question, I will not discuss this any further.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Return to Basic Translation