thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

List of Tenses with Examples

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: List of Tenses with Examples

Postby DonSena » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Thomas wrote:
DonSena wrote:The contrast between sapere and potere ...

Thank you very much for further examples how to use เป็น, ได้ and their negations each in the context of driving car. They are clear to me.

Actually I was not searching for Thai counterparts of Italian terms, rather, I used a language as an example for the fact that other languages have different (or more than one) ways to say "can", thus, supposedly in Thai as well.

I think I have a nice example for the different meaning of can within English - without needing another language.

I had a collegue with the following attitude (or was it protest against the 'abuse' of the term can?).

Me: Can/could you tell me what time it is?
He: Yes!

To get the searched information you had always to add:

So, please, do it!

Actually, I like the idea of comparing Italian with Thai.
DonSena

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 am

DonSena wrote:Actually, I like the idea of comparing Italian with Thai.

In the sense of language or culture?

ไม้เอก ไม้โท ไม้ตรี ไม้จัตวา
vs.
uno, due, tre, quattro

ไม่เป็นไร
vs.
sereno è sereno sarà se non sarà sereno si rasserenerà.

I feel that Italian and Thai languages do not contribute so much to the Indoeuropean theory. Here it may be a better idea to compare Latin and Sanskrit directly?!

As to culture a (short) story:

I visisted Thailand the very first time in my life in the version of honeymoon (in South Thailand, Phuket, Patong Beach, Ko Phiphi, Maya Beach, Ko Surin, Ko Similan) with my Thai wife. During our honeymoon I told her: "Thailand reminds me very much in Italy. But to be honest: For seeing Patong Beach, however, I have not to travel 10.000 km from Frankfurt. At least the flight from Frankfurt or Düsseldorf to "Ballermann" (a German derogative term for a beach near Palma de Mallorca, Spain) is less expensive."
My wife meanwhile has seen many parts of Europe (including London, Paris, Amsterdam). This year, while her sister is staying in Germany as well (visa limited to Schengen excluding London including Bern), the two ladies decieded to make a non-Paris-non-Amsterdam city tour. Discussed was Prague, Budapest, and Rome. It turned out a 5 day city tour trip during August to Rome. I have a friend in Rome (and can still speak Italian although it was much more fluent about 30 years ago). Discussing the plan of the two ladies with my friend he said that it is sad but due to "ferragosto" he will not stay in/a Roma but in Calabria. The three reasons ferragosto (= Rome is hot, Romans try to stay outside of Rome), city tour (which I do not like), and my friend not in Rome (and just knowing Rome very well by myself) let me decide not to travel with the two ladies. I helped to find a nice hotel at Forum Romanum in-between Collosseum and Piazza Venezia and made print-outs from several "must to see in Rome" in Thai language.

On their return I asked: So, Italy like Thailand? The thumb of both ladies was up in repsonse to the "Morituri te salutant" (Collosseum). ดีมาก!!!

Rather, I was very much impressed by my wife who thinks now that, provided that her mother can visit us in Germany once, it is Rome but not Paris what she want to show to her mother for a better understanding what "Europe"/ยุโรป (E-u-ro-pa, Italian pronunciation as "romanized") means. I'm impressed because Paris was always the city my wife loved so much ... a new love is now Rome.

As to language: What are your thoughts as to comparing Thai and Italian?
-----
Edit: When I still had not understood this so well I could become crazy (from a German point of view) for the Thai thesis that the first letter of the alphabet is เอ. Ok, understand that this is the first letter of the English alphabet. That's it. In the context of "Roma" I became similarly crazy (but explained it thereafter as a phonetic guide for their travel to Italy) for the question of my sister-in-law how to pronounce "Roma" in Italian language: I replied a little bit angry:
"ro ruea, sara o, mo ma sara a, but damned: That's just stated with the "R-O-M-A-nized" spelling of R-O-M-A".

Do you mean something like this? THA_ITA comparative phonetics?
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Postby Richard Wordingham » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Thomas wrote:I feel that Italian and Thai languages do not contribute so much to the Indoeuropean theory. Here it may be a better idea to compare Latin and Sanskrit directly?!

I suspect the most interesting results would be similarities that have nothing to do with Indo-European.
Richard Wordingham

Postby aneSmith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:17 am

Well, Because adjectives can be used as complete predicates, many words used to indicate tense in verbs (see Verbs:Tense below) may be used to describe adjectives.

ฉันหิว (chan hiu, [tɕ͡ʰǎn hǐw]) I am hungry.
ฉันจะหิว (chan cha hiu, [tɕ͡ʰǎn tɕ͡àʔ hǐw]) I will be hungry.
ฉันกำลังหิว (chan kamlang hiu, [tɕ͡ʰǎn kamlaŋ hǐw]) I am hungry right now.
ฉันหิวแล้ว (chan hiu laeo, [tɕ͡ʰǎn hǐw lɛ́ːw]) I am already hungry.
aneSmith

Previous

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech