thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Cannot copy/paste thai to a Word document

Usage questions, bug reports, and feature requests for this web site

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Postby LaurentZ » Sat May 10, 2003 12:15 pm

When I copy thai script from a website to a Word document, I just get small squares which I never can turn back to Thai. This is the case for example when I want to copy a thai word from the dictionary.
I use a non-thai version of Windows 98 and Explorer 5.5, and thai encoding is enabled. I have no problem to read or to write thai but just cannot copy and paste thai text to a Word document.
I tried to use Wordpad as you advised in a former post but this does not work when I try to copy again to a Word document.
Do you have any suggestion ?
LaurentZ

Postby Glenn Slayden » Sat May 10, 2003 2:21 pm

Windows 98 only supports a very minimal subset of Unicode functionality. It's really not a usable OS if you're doing anything which requires Unicode. My impression is that they only implemented the minimum Unicode APIs that were required in order to make Internet Explorer run.

Hate to tell you, but the easiest solution for you would be to upgrade to Windows XP. The US version of it supports Unicode and Thai really well.

Glenn
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby ling ลิง » Sun May 11, 2003 12:54 pm

I was asking questions about pasting thai ages ago and Brian was very helpful indeed.
But I still have a problem with my Thai software dictionary version4 by สอ เสถบุตร, some bits of it still don't display properly.
Everything displays ok on this wbsite, but then I noticed one word that doesn't. Its at the top of the message boards where it says 'Hello, (here it should display 'ลิง' but it isn't displaying properly) ling. So Glen in this small box must be a different encoding, right!? I thought that if I could solve this problem (or you solve it for me would be more realistic!) then maybe it would also put the dictionary right too!
I've got windows 2000NToperating system, with encoding set to thai windows.
so anyway any ideas Glen I would be very grateful.
ling ลิง

Postby Glenn Slayden » Mon May 12, 2003 12:43 am

Are you saying that that "hello" place is the only place where it doesn't display the Thai properly? If so, then it's a problem with the UBB bulletin board software, which I can't really fix myself, although I can report it. Let me know.

Glenn
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby ling ลิง » Sat May 24, 2003 8:58 am

Glen,
thanks for your prompt reply, more than what can be said about mine!! :roll:

Are you saying that that "hello" place is the only place where it doesn't display the Thai properly?

yes thats right only in the Hello box.
this is what it looks like " Hello, xxx ling " (the x's being unreadable characters)
and it should be " Hello, ลิง ling ", obviously.

'UBB bulletin board software' what is this in the English language please!

Surely its something to do with my computer or software, well I'm no expert so wouldn't know :(

thanks again
ling ลิง

Postby Glenn Slayden » Wed May 28, 2003 9:55 am

This message board is one part (currently the only part) of this website which I purchased from a 3rd party vendor (Infopop) and plugged into the web site. Their product is called UBB--Ultimate Bulletin Board. That's what we're using here.

The message board part of the screen that you see is generated by this product, so the problem you mention is a bug in their code, which is written in the Perl computer language. I don't know Perl, so I wouldn't be able to fix it myself.

I reported the problem to them.

Glenn
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby Glenn Slayden » Thu May 29, 2003 3:25 pm

Here's the reply from InfoPop:

Hello Glenn:

Thank you for contacting Infopop Support, we appreciate your inquiry. :)

The "Hello [user]" login status is controlled via JavaScript; as far as we know JavaScript doesn't fully support Unicode.

However, our UBB.threads message board is capable of displaying a user's login name in the language/Unicode selected. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Jacob Tovs
Customer Advocate Lead

The "threads" product he's referring to is their higher-end product, which we don't use.
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby Alek » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:34 am

ling ลิง wrote:But I still have a problem with my Thai software dictionary version4 by สอ เสถบุตร, some bits of it still don't display properly.

Just today I got that dictionary working properly. Take a look at the soc.culture.thai usenet thread Windows XP and Thai Fonts .
Alek

Re: Cannot copy/paste thai to a Word document

Postby zlatan24 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Effective determination for present situation is a doc recovery. The software has all required capacities such as restoring word files after power failures, viruses. It can work with files from any version of MS Excel. The software demonstrates the results of working with bad word files.
zlatan24

Return to thai-language.com: Issues, Problems, Suggestions