thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Get a learning book for beginner

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Get a learning book for beginner

Postby Andy6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Hello, I am currently a beginner of learning Thai, I have been reading in "Thai for Beginners" by Benjawan, and I find it to be quite good, but I want a nice book with more stories to read.

I can read already, so the book I want to buy must have no phonetic translitteration as I find this to be misleading and makes it harder to understand the text. My vocabulary is still very low, I would estimate it to be around 4-500 words.
Do anyone have any experience with the book "Progressive Thai" by Rungrat Luanwarawat? I couldn't find very much information about this book.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Andy6

Re: Get a learning book for beginner

Postby benlinguist » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm also using Thai for Beginners right now, but when buying it, I bought all three books of the series, and the third book, "Thai for Advanced Learners" sounds like it's what you're looking for. It has no transliteration, at all. It has stories and vocabulary lists, and expects readers to have a decent command of the Thai language to read it.
benlinguist

Postby tod-daniels » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:14 am

IMHO: that "Thai for Advanced Learners" has some pretty dated, boring stories and not all that great vocab.. :o

I'd suggest, at the same time you're studying Thai for Beginners, that you buy the book Everyday Thai for Beginners by Wiworn Kesavatana-Dohrs, PhD.

Honestly it's not really a beginner book :? seeing as it is ONLY written in thai with English meanings. It has NO pronunciation guide. You're either reading thai or you're not able to use the book all that much. It does come with a c/d of sound files so that helps :) . I believe you'd get really good value out of it.
https://thailand.kinokuniya.com/bw/9789749575970

The old Manee/Mana Books that thais learned to read from aren't bad (although they're a little "brain-washy" as far as the culture is concerned :shock: ).. You can down load all of the original books and they've re-published .๑ ป. (grade 1 & 2) which you can buy here;
http://www.suksapan.or.th/index.php?view=article&catid=83%3A-m---m-s&id=522%3A-m---m-s&option=com_content&Itemid=184

Otherwise you can go to any thai book shop and pick out books written for thai children which are at the level you want.. There are TONZ of those to choose from.

Good Luck.. :D
tod-daniels

Postby Andy6 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks for the good information. Everyday Thai for beginners seems to be a great book, with good reviews. It was quite hard to find it since I'm not in Thailand, but I've ordered it, and now just waiting.
Reading children books seems to be a great idea, I will definitely pick up some the next time I visit Thailand.
Andy6

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites