thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

slang for liar or deceitful

Thai words and their origins

Moderator: acloudmovingby

slang for liar or deceitful

Postby jariya76 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:22 pm

I've heard a word used several times in a lakorn that I can't make out. It sounds like มันยา or มันย้า. In the context of the story it would seem to mean liar, deceitful, or sneaky. Anyone?
jariya76

Re: slang for liar or deceitful

Postby John » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Is "มารยา" what you are looking for?
John (จอห์น)
John

Postby jariya76 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Yes, that must be it. Now, do you know if it's slang, vulgar, polite, etc...?
jariya76

Postby mangkorn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:52 pm

It's not vulgar. (The intent of the deception may be, but the word isn't...)
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby Witmaster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:47 pm

มารยา it's not slang word at all and not really mean lair
it's could mean pretence or tricky and in Thai มารยา always use only for a women sometime can use มารยาหญิง
Moreover มารยา is the abuse word to woman who a liar that u can catch out her and sometime it's can mean the abilities of women to do for somethings she want to get it like wink at ,make eyes at or chat someone up

for example
"มารยาหญิง" เครื่องมือใช้ผูกใจสามี ให้ยอมอยู่แทบเท้า

นอกจากนี้ อาจะใช้คำว่า แพศยา หรือ ผู้หญิงแพศยา เพื่อว่า ผู้หญิงที่มี "มารยา" มาก
แพศยา อาจมีความหมายทั้ง แสดงว่าเป็น ผู้หญิงฉลาด หรือ เป็นคำด่าว่าเป็นผู้หญิงร้ายกาจ

แต่หลายคนอาจเข้าใจไปว่าเหมือนกับ slut or whore ซึ่งผมว่าไม่ถูกต้องตามความหมายจริงๆของคำนี้
แม้แต่คนไทยเองก็ยังเข้าใจผิดบ่อยๆ แพศยา ไม่ใช่คำที่รุนแรงขนาดนั้น

ps sorry for my english
Witmaster

Postby mangkorn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Witmaster wrote:... and sometime it's can mean the abilities of women to do for somethings she want to get it like wink at ,make eyes at or chat someone up...

....แต่หลายคนอาจเข้าใจไปว่าเหมือนกับ slut or whore ....

One slang term for that part of what Witmaster describes is แรด.

I've always wondered how that came about, from the word for the animal. (I also see now that this site's dictionary gives a connotation of haughty or pretentious, which makes it even "curioser and curioser," as Alice said...)
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby Witmaster » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:31 pm

แรด ตอนนี้ ความหมายค่อนข้างเบาลงไปมากแล้ว แต่ก็ขึ้นอยู่กับสถาณการณ์ บางครั้งเป็นคำตลกๆ และใช้ล้อเลียนเพื่อนผู้ชายได้เหมือนกัน
Witmaster

Postby David and Bui » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:57 am

Just to follow up on Witmaster's very helpful explanation, the following is the entry for "แร่ด" from "พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม๑" (Dictionary of New Words, Volume 1) of the Royal Institute:

แร่ด ก. ประพฤติตัวเหลวแหลกและประเจิดประเจ้อในทางชู้สาว เช่น เด็กสมัยนี้แร่ดมาก มีแฟนตั้งแต่อยุยังน้อย

แร่ด” (verb/modifier) to conduct oneself in a slutty and shameless manner; for example, ‘Kids nowadays act shamelessly; they have boyfriends from a very young age.’ (my translation)

Several questions:

1. Actually, the RI definition above does not contain the word เหลวแหลก (Lexitron, third definition, " เหลวแหลก [ADJ] dissolute; dissipated; worthless; good-for-nothing") but แหลวแหลก, which I could not find in the dictionaries I have. Is the word as written a possible misprint or is it a new word?

2. I have conflated the word "เหลวแหลก" and "ชู้สาว" in the translation to be "slutty". Is this reflective of the Thai meaning?

3. Note that the RID spelling is แร่ด, consistently with the ไม้เอก. Any reason why this spelling is used? A regionalism, similar to แซ่บ?

Interestingly, the Dictionary of New Words has a follow-up term: "แร่ดเงียบ" as "ประพฤติตัวเหลวแหลกในทางชู้สาว แต่ไม่ประเจิดประเจ้อ", as in "ดาราคนนี้แร่ดเงียบ ทำตัวเรียบร้อย แต่เบื้องหลังเปลี่ยนคู่นอนเป็นว่าเล่น"

"This actress acts in a very dignified manner, but secretly she is a wanton woman."

What do you think?

Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Nan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:32 am

Khun David kha,

As Khun Witmaster has pointed out, the meaning of "แรด" or "แร่ด" is not so strong as it would once be. I would say that the definition from "พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม๑" is too strong for this word.

From RID, 2542 edition ;

แรด ๓ (ปาก) . ดัดจริต.

I think this definition is more precise than the definition from "พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม๑"

From RID;

เหลวแหลก [-แหฺลก] . ป่นปี้, ไม่เป็นชิ้นเป็นอัน; เละเทะ; เป็นที่น่ารังเกียจ
เช่น มีความประพฤติเหลวแหลก ชีวิตเหลวแหลก.

David and Bui wrote:2. I have conflated the word "เหลวแหลก" and "ชู้สาว" in the translation to be "slutty". Is this reflective of the Thai meaning?

Yes, it is reflectie of the Thai meaning, that's why I think it's too strong for the word "แรด".

David and Bui wrote:3. Note that the RID spelling is แร่ด, consistently with the ไม้เอก. Any reason why this spelling is used? A regionalism, similar to แซ่บ?

Word with สระแอ with dead final consonant is quite impossible to know whether it's spelled with short or long vowel. So, it can be แรด as the original word or แร่ด which feel shorter for Thais when it's written, although it's pronounced the same in spoken language.
Nan

Postby mangkorn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks to Witmaster, Nan and David for amplifying the discussion of แรด (แร่ด).

ดัดจริต is how I understood the term, as well: the (sometimes shameless) use of feminine wiles and charm to get men to do something. It may seem slutty, but is more often a pose - without any intention of having sex.

Apart from that, does anyone what's the connection to rhinoceros, if any? Thanks.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Next

Return to Vocabulary and Etymology