thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Short Paragraph

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Short Paragraph

Postby David and Bui » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:52 pm

An introductory paragraph from this week's Matichon Weekly (page 42)

หลอดไฟในห้องน้ำเมื่อไรจะเปลี่ยน

ทำเอาผมสะดุ้งโหยง ในความนิสัยเสียของตัวเอง

ผัดวันประกันพรุ่ง มาจะเกือบครึ่งปีแล้ว ก็ยังไม่ได้เปลี่ยนหลอดไฟหนึ่งหลอดนี่เสียที

จ้า ๆ เดี๋ยวอาทิตย์นี้ไปซื้อมาเปลี่ยนให้นะ

แฟนผมส่งเสียงตามมาด้วยความเซ็งสามี

ช่วยกันดูแลหน่อยเธอ นี่บ้านนะ ไม่ใช่โรงแรม

Here's my take, followed by several questions. Your suggestions and corrections are appreciated:

1. While I was lying down, stretched out comfortably reading a book on the loveseat with the air-conditioning turned on pleasantly cool, and dozing off, I heard the voice of my wife calling to me from another room.

2. a. “When are you going to change the light bulb in the bathroom?”
b. “Hey, you know that light bulb in the bathroom? When are you going to change it?”

3. [Her voice] caused me to jump up [and confront] the bad habit I developed.

4. I kept procrastinating [changing the bulb] for a half year already and I hadn’t yet changed this one broken bulb.

5. “Yes, yes. This coming week I’ll go buy one and change it for you.”

6. My wife replied in the tone of voice used to talk to tedious husbands,

7. “We have to help each other doing things; this is our home, not a hotel.”

a. Please help me understand the use of "เฉิบ".
b. Do I understand "ความ 'เซ็ง' สามี" correctly?

Thank you for your help.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Short Paragraph

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:41 am

I think that it is more colloquial, for instance ผัดวันประกันพรุ่ง screams out "put it off for tomorrow" to me. Also, isn't he on the 'sofa' ?
From the dictionary เฉิบ is to do something rhythmically, สบายใจเฉิบ is in the dictionary, it uses นั่ง but นอน must show a similar state of relaxation.
"เซ็ง" disenchanted enough to change, I would say her tone is one of being 'fed up' with him.
Help me out here can you? This is a home not a hotel.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby วิลสัน » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:28 am

Hi David,

เซ็ง in my opinion it means bored not tedious, like to do something that you don't like you use เซ็ง.

Eg. เซ็งเลย วันนี้ต้องไปประชุมที่เมืองนอก
วิลสัน

Postby David and Bui » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 am

Thank you, Tgeezer and Wilson,

Tgeezer wrote:"เซ็ง" disenchanted enough to change, I would say her tone is one of being 'fed up' with him.

วิลสัน wrote:Hi David,

เซ็ง in my opinion it means bored not tedious, like to do something that you don't like you use เซ็ง.

Eg. เซ็งเลย วันนี้ต้องไปประชุมที่เมืองนอก

I used the word "tedious" in this context, rather than "bored" because I thought that the meaning that the author was trying to convey incorporated "tedious" meaning "so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness". That is, the wife was getting tired of telling her husband to do something over and over again. I don't know whether this is the same notion as "boring". The word เบื่อ, I think, has a broader meaning than merely "boring" and encompasses "being fed up with performing repetitive actions."

The construction of the sentence "แฟนผมส่งเสียงตามมาด้วยความเซ็งสามี" and especially the use of quotation marks in the original around เซ็ง seems to indicate some creative usage of the term. Finally, I am not sure about the use of สามี in the sentence. The structure makes it seem as if "สามี" was the object of "เซ็ง" as part of the prepositional phrase, "ด้วยความ "เซ็ง" สามี". One dictionary offers a sample sentence where เซ็ง is used as a transitive verb: "ฉันรู้สึกเซ็งชีวิต" ("I'm just fed up with life!")

Let me try to restate:

"แฟนผมส่งเสียงตามมา (My wife responded. . . )
ด้วยความเซ็งสามี" (in a manner indicating that she was fed up with her husband.)

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby David and Bui » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 am

Tgeezer wrote:I think that it is more colloquial, for instance ผัดวันประกันพรุ่ง screams out "put it off for tomorrow" to me. Also, isn't he on the 'sofa' ?
From the dictionary เฉิบ is to do something rhythmically, สบายใจเฉิบ is in the dictionary, it uses นั่ง but นอน must show a similar state of relaxation.
"เซ็ง" disenchanted enough to change, I would say her tone is one of being 'fed up' with him.
Help me out here can you? This is a home not a hotel.

Thanks, Tgeezer,

I had not seen the word "โซฟาตัวโปรด" used before. However, if the usage here is like " โปรดปราน [-ปฺราน] . เอ็นดู, รักใคร่" (RID) then, with your admonition in mind, I think the better rendering is, "my favorite sofa". The sentence would then be,

"While I was lying down, stretched out comfortably reading a book on my favorite sofa with the air-conditioning turned on pleasantly cool, and dozing off, I heard my wife's voice calling me from another room."

As to "ช่วยกันดูแลหน่อยเธอ นี่บ้านนะ ไม่ใช่โรงแรม" I see that you believe that "ซ่วยกัน" is the imperative form in this sentence. I am not sure. If the sentence was meant to be a command, I think it might have been written, "ช่วยดูแลหน่อยเธอซิ".

I was also puzzled by the use of the word "เฉิบ" and I would like to hear opinions. I am skeptical that "rhythmically" is intended.

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:17 am

Hi David, We all have different colloquialisms and one simply chooses one which fits one's experience. "Help me out here"/" give me a break" "do your bit and look acter things" the point is that he isn't doing his bit towards the partnership. More exasperation than commanding I feel ช่วยหน่อยได้ไหม is more critical and demanding I think.
I wondered about โสฟาตัวโปรด and more or less skiped it but I think that you are right "favorite sofa" is probably the literal meaning.
As I said นั่งสบายใจเฉิบ shows slow leisurely rythm probably of breathing when reclining. Native speaker required!
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:19 pm

David and Bui wrote:An introductory paragraph from this week's Matichon Weekly (page 42)

หลอดไฟในห้องน้ำเมื่อไรจะเปลี่ยน

ทำเอาผมสะดุ้งโหยง ในความนิสัยเสียของตัวเอง

ผัดวันประกันพรุ่ง มาจะเกือบครึ่งปีแล้ว ก็ยังไม่ได้เปลี่ยนหลอดไฟหนึ่งหลอดนี่เสียที

จ้า ๆ เดี๋ยวอาทิตย์นี้ไปซื้อมาเปลี่ยนให้นะ

แฟนผมส่งเสียงตามมาด้วยความเซ็งสามี

ช่วยกันดูแลหน่อยเธอ นี่บ้านนะ ไม่ใช่โรงแรม

Here's my take, followed by several questions. Your suggestions and corrections are appreciated:

1. While I was lying down, stretched out comfortably reading a book on the loveseat with the air-conditioning turned on pleasantly cool, and dozing off, I heard the voice of my wife calling to me from another room.

2. a. “When are you going to change the light bulb in the bathroom?”
b. “Hey, you know that light bulb in the bathroom? When are you going to change it?”

3. [Her voice] caused me to jump up [and confront] the bad habit I developed.

4. I kept procrastinating [changing the bulb] for a half year already and I hadn’t yet changed this one broken bulb.

5. “Yes, yes. This coming week I’ll go buy one and change it for you.”

6. My wife replied in the tone of voice used to talk to tedious husbands,

7. “We have to help each other doing things; this is our home, not a hotel.”

b. Do I understand "ความ 'เซ็ง' สามี" correctly?

Thank you for your help.

David and Bui wrote:Thank you, Tgeezer and Wilson,

I used the word "tedious" in this context, rather than "bored" because I thought that the meaning that the author was trying to convey incorporated "tedious" meaning "so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness". That is, the wife was getting tired of telling her husband to do something over and over again. I don't know whether this is the same notion as "boring". The word เบื่อ, I think, has a broader meaning than merely "boring" and encompasses "being fed up with performing repetitive actions."

The construction of the sentence "แฟนผมส่งเสียงตามมาด้วยความเซ็งสามี" and especially the use of quotation marks in the original around เซ็ง seems to indicate some creative usage of the term. Finally, I am not sure about the use of สามี in the sentence. The structure makes it seem as if "สามี" was the object of "เซ็ง" as part of the prepositional phrase, "ด้วยความ "เซ็ง" สามี". One dictionary offers a sample sentence where เซ็ง is used as a transitive verb: "ฉันรู้สึกเซ็งชีวิต" ("I'm just fed up with life!")

Let me try to restate:

"แฟนผมส่งเสียงตามมา (My wife responded. . . )
ด้วยความเซ็งสามี" (in a manner indicating that she was fed up with her husband.)

What do you think?

Although I like your second piece, I'd like to replace the underlied phrase with "tired of".
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Pirin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:35 pm

David and Bui wrote:An introductory paragraph from this week's Matichon Weekly (page 42)

Thank you for your help.

Tgeezer wrote:Hi David, We all have different colloquialisms and one simply chooses one which fits one's experience. "Help me out here"/" give me a break" "do your bit and look acter things" the point is that he isn't doing his bit towards the partnership. More exasperation than commanding I feel ช่วยหน่อยได้ไหม is more critical and demanding I think.
I wondered about โสฟาตัวโปรด and more or less skiped it but I think that you are right "favorite sofa" is probably the literal meaning.
As I said นั่งสบายใจเฉิบ shows slow leisurely rythm probably of breathing when reclining. Native speaker required!

The word "เฉิบ" shows the high degree of the writer's feeling, so please translate the above sentence to mean, "While I was lying down on my favorite sofa to read a book and felt perfectly comfortable to do so ...".
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:14 am

I don't quite get that Pirin. I felt that นั่งสบายใจเฉิบ might apply to meditation, inner peace, something which every individual is entitled to. Are you saying that เฉิบ shows entitlement- without guilt?

He is actually being lazy in not attending to his husbandly duties and doing no husbandry on the home. He was happy his wife wasn't.

I haven't attempted to translate it in this context, but when someone is spoiling my fun I say, I was happily lying on my favourite sofa reading....
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:26 am

Tgeezer wrote:I don't quite get that Pirin. I felt that นั่งสบายใจเฉิบ might apply to meditation, inner peace, something which every individual is entitled to. Are you saying that เฉิบ shows entitlement- without guilt?

He is actually being lazy in not attending to his husbandly duties and doing no husbandry on the home. He was happy his wife wasn't.

I haven't attempted to translate it in this context, but when someone is spoiling my fun I say, I was happily lying on my favourite sofa reading....

Believe it or not this piece of your does reflect the original words.
:-D

สบายใจเฉิบ = I'm perfectly relaxed (on my own without paying any attention to anything else).
Pirin

Next

Return to Advanced Translation