thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Why is อ in ชื่อ silent?

Vowel & consonant graphemes (letters), syllables, and orthography

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Why is อ in ชื่อ silent?

Postby thais » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:50 pm

I am just starting to learn Thai and have not been able to figure out this word.

ชื่อ (name) is pronounced as "cheuu" with the silent.
Is there a rule for a silent final ?

Steven
thais

Re: Why is อ in ชื่อ silent?

Postby David and Bui » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:46 pm

The full expression of this vowel which is the final sound in a word includes both the " " placed above the consonant, and the "" which follows the consonant. See http://www.thai-language.com/ref/vowels for a list of vowels and, specifically, "Table 2 Monophthongs", line 8 final two columns.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby thais » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:33 pm

David and Bui wrote:The full expression of this vowel which is the final sound in a word includes both the " " placed above the consonant, and the "" which follows the consonant. See http://www.thai-language.com/ref/vowels for a list of vowels and, specifically, "Table 2 Monophthongs", line 8 final two columns.

I see, the open syllable has a final .
Thanks, David.

Steven
thais

Postby bifftastic » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:06 pm

It's not a final the vowel is สระ อือ both symbols อื and are part of that vowel.
bifftastic

Postby thais » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:10 pm

bifftastic wrote:It's not a final the vowel is สระ อือ both symbols อื and are part of that vowel.

Yes, that's what I meant but didn't state it correctly. Thanks.
thais

Postby Richard Wordingham » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Another way of looking at the question is, "Why does the symbol for this vowel incorporate in open syllables?". I don't know the answer to this question, but will point out that Lao doesn't incorporate the consonant.

My guess is that it is related to the vowel symbol - for open syllables. Possibly the helps distinguish the vowel from อี in open syllables, while preserving the rule that native syllables have but a single consonant after the vowel. (The sequences for /i:a/ and /ɯːa/ may be interpreted as sort of having two vowels, with and separating the two vowels.) There's a fair amount of variety in the way the four vowels in the อิ family are written in a related script, and perhaps Thai hasn't always been so clear. Nowadays, there is a problem with computer fonts squeezing the vowels into a small vertical space so that the text can harmonise with the Latin script, but this can't explain the spelling rule.
Richard Wordingham

Postby thais » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:20 am

Richard Wordingham wrote:Another way of looking at the question is, "Why does the symbol for this vowel incorporate in open syllables?". I don't know the answer to this question, but will point out that Lao doesn't incorporate the consonant.

My guess is that it is related to the vowel symbol - for open syllables. Possibly the helps distinguish the vowel from อี in open syllables, while preserving the rule that native syllables have but a single consonant after the vowel. (The sequences for /i:a/ and /ɯːa/ may be interpreted as sort of having two vowels, with and separating the two vowels.) There's a fair amount of variety in the way the four vowels in the อิ family are written in a related script, and perhaps Thai hasn't always been so clear. Nowadays, there is a problem with computer fonts squeezing the vowels into a small vertical space so that the text can harmonise with the Latin script, but this can't explain the spelling rule.

The additional seems akin to "me" at the end of "programme" in British English.
thais

Postby bifftastic » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:42 pm

I think that one has French roots, as a lot of English words do. The spelling is preserved in British English. American English seems to have removed all the French spellings for some reason :)
bifftastic

Postby Thomas » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:33 pm

bifftastic wrote:

I think that one has French roots, as a lot of English words do. The spelling is preserved in British English. American English seems to have removed all the French spellings for some reason :)

Programme, program, Programm, programma is considered from the viewpoint of European languages to have classical Greek roots: Pro-Gramma. This view will fit also to French.
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Richard Wordingham wrote:Another way of looking at the question is, "Why does the symbol for this vowel incorporate in open syllables?". I don't know the answer to this question, but will point out that Lao doesn't incorporate the consonant.

My guess is that it is related to the vowel symbol - for open syllables.

I've attached the "sara-list" as published by Kamchai Thonglo.

As you can see (apologies for the low quality of the scan) sara ue_long had, in the days of Thonglo, no additional/final -.

My understanding, thus, and I just heard this story several times, is that "final -" in an open ue is a very recent spelling reform/agreement.

I do not see any relationship with the spelling of (the "polymorphic") sara oe long or short (according to Thonglo เออ/เออะ) in terms of Lao. I feel in this spelling, as displayed by Thonglo, - eventually could indicate hardly anything more than a posited placeholder for a final consonant?! See เลย/loei but เกิด/koet?!
Attachments
sara Thonglo.jpg
sara Thai patchuban
sara Thonglo.jpg (14.26 KiB) Viewed 45619 times
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Next

Return to Reading, Writing, Spelling, and Tone Rules