thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน

Postby strehe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I was having trouble translating to English the following Thai description of the Jantara Pah Fan dance. Can anyone complete the translation?

ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน
ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน เป็น ชุดการฟ้อนตามท่วงทำนองและบทร้อง ที่บรรยายถึงหญิงสาวชาวเหนือผู้หลงใหลใฝ่ฝันในความงามของแสงจันทร์ โดยมีลีลาท่าฟ้อนอันอ่อนช้อยงดงาม ออกแบบท่ารำโดยท่านผู้หญิงแผ้ว สนิทวงศ์เสนี ผู้เชี่ยวชาญนาฏศิลป์ไทยและศิลปินแห่งชาติ ส่วนบทร้องนั้น ประพันธ์ร่วมกับนายประพันธ์ สุคนธะชาติ ในทำนองเพลงลาวคำหอม

All I could manage was:
Romantic? Moon Dance
The Jantara Pah Fan dance is a type? of dance with music and lyrics which describe a young Northern girl...dream...moonlight?..choreographed by lady Phaeo Sanitwongseni, an expert in Thai dance and Arts. The lyrics were written in collaboration with Mr Praphan Sukhonthachat in a Lao style?

Thanks in advance.
http://rabam1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/fo ... aphan.html

Video of the dance:
http://youtu.be/7fgDHncmUE0
strehe

Re: ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน

Postby Tonkhla » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:08 pm

ฟ้อน = (A kind of) dance
จันทรา = Moon
พา = Lead
ฝัน = Dream (in this sense, more like 'imagine')

The translation 'Romantic Moon Dance' is actually very good in my opinion. We don't need literal translation here, do we? The literal one is perhaps something like The Moon Dance Making us Want to Dream.

ผู้[หลงใหลใฝ่ฝัน]ในความงามของแสงจันทร์ โดยมี[ลีลาท่าฟ้อน]อัน[อ่อนช้อยงดงาม]

*Words that should be grouped together when translated are in put in square brackets.

หลงใหล = charmed by
ใฝ่ฝัน = dream about

ความงามของแสงจันทร์ = the beauty of the moonlight

ลีลา = grace
ท่าฟ้อน = a pose of ฟ้อน (dancing)

อ่อนช้อย = gentle and tender
งดงาม = beautiful

ออกแบบท่ารำโดยท่านผู้หญิงแผ้ว สนิทวงศ์เสนี ผู้เชี่ยวชาญนาฏศิลป์ไทยและศิลปินแห่งชาติ ส่วนบทร้องนั้น ประพันธ์ร่วมกับนายประพันธ์ สุคนธะชาติ ในทำนองเพลงลาวคำหอม

ผู้เชี่ยวชาญนาฏศิลป์ไทย = an expert on Thai Dancing Art
ศิลปินแห่งชาติ = a National Artist

ทำนอง = music
ลาวคำหอม is a song's name; it's a traditional Thai song, but has an 'accent' of a Laotian song.

Your translation is already quite accurate. I think with above information you will succeed without much difficulty.
เป็นคนไทยครับ :D
Tonkhla

Postby strehe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Thank you very much Khun Tonkhla.

So I would put forth a tentative translation as something like:

"Romantic Moon Dance
The Jantara Pah Fan dance is a type of dance with music and lyrics which describe a young girl from the North of Thailand dreaming about the beauty of moonlight. The dance is beautiful, gentle and graceful in its nature and was choreographed by Lady Phaeo Sanitwongseni, an expert in Thai dance and Arts. The lyrics were written in collaboration with Mr Praphan Sukhonthachat, in the style of a traditional Thai song called a Lao Kham Hawm."

Was a bit confused about the dream though. Have not been privy to many girls' dreams, and I would imagine they dream about many things, however a dream about the beauty of moonlight? Really? :) Maybe it was dreaming in the sense of daydreaming etc that was meant though.
The dance in the video is nice too.
Last edited by strehe on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
strehe

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 am

strehe wrote:I was having trouble translating to English the following Thai description of the Jantara Pah Fan dance. Can anyone complete the translation?

ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน
ฟ้อนจันทราพาฝัน เป็น ชุดการฟ้อนตามท่วงทำนองและบทร้อง ที่บรรยายถึงหญิงสาวชาวเหนือผู้หลงใหลใฝ่ฝันในความงามของแสงจันทร์ โดยมีลีลาท่าฟ้อนอันอ่อนช้อยงดงาม ออกแบบท่ารำโดยท่านผู้หญิงแผ้ว สนิทวงศ์เสนี ผู้เชี่ยวชาญนาฏศิลป์ไทยและศิลปินแห่งชาติ ส่วนบทร้องนั้น ประพันธ์ร่วมกับนายประพันธ์ สุคนธะชาติ ในทำนองเพลงลาวคำหอม

All I could manage was:
Romantic? Moon Dance
The Jantara Pah Fan dance is a type? of dance with music and lyrics which describe a young Northern girl...dream...moonlight?..choreographed by lady Phaeo Sanitwongseni, an expert in Thai dance and Arts. The lyrics were written in collaboration with Mr Praphan Sukhonthachat in a Lao style?

Thanks in advance.
http://rabam1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/fo ... aphan.html

This ที่บรรยายถึงหญิงสาวชาวเหนือผู้หลงใหล says: describes an infatuated young Northern girl
ใฝ่ฝัน this says dreaming about but,
this ในความงามของแสงจันทร์ says: in the beauty of the of the moonlight.
There is a preposition there so you can't take it as the object of the verb ใฝ่ฝัน can you?
There is an audience as well and we are all supposed to see what the situation is. She could be sitting beside a babbling brook or among the wild flowers in a meadow; anywhere the poet chooses to evoke the dreamy longings of a maid. I don't think it should say what her dream is about, I would assume that it is romance rather than exams.
At least that is how I see it.
Tgeezer

Postby strehe » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks Tgeezer. That would certainly make more sense.
Perhaps someone else can confirm.
strehe

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:35 pm

strehe wrote:Thanks Tgeezer. That would certainly make more sense.
Perhaps someone else can confirm.

They might!
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby strehe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks Pirin!
strehe

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:16 pm

strehe wrote:Thanks Pirin!

So no romance involved then. My problem is I don't have the experience in Thai and try to make sense of it, I accept English which doesn't make sense more easily. Like you I can't understand being fascinated by something so commonplace as moonlight but then I'm a Bloke!
Tgeezer

Return to Advanced Translation