thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

“The Language Crisis”

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: “The Language Crisis”

Postby Alan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 pm

I've been following the comments on the Thai phrases: นับประสาอะไรกับ, สำมะหาอะไรจะ/อันใดก้บ... and the apt English renderings: ...then how do you expect.../....It goes without saying that..../don't even mention...

The criteria I use in choosing which phrases I want to take for further processing (memorization, further vetting, Google searches, out loud production to create muscle-memory of the term etc etc...) - all so that I can instantly recall and produce the term on demand - this criteria is not just what the term means, but what it does for me and how it makes me look.

This Thai term is simply a diamond (and the discussion/examples produced in the thread, stellar). Why? Because in the "what it does for me" category, this phrase comes up a winner.

First, lets consider the English translations. Once I think I've got the English translation correct (or I should say in this case, the contributors to the thread got it correct), before I concern myself too much with the Thai, I ask myself: In my native language, English, when I say "...then how do you expect....", or "it goes without saying" - what is that phrase doing for me? And then, I try to find out, after crossing the cultural gulf, will the phrase "perform the same?".

นับประสาอะไรกับ and สำมะหาอันใดจะ are brilliant little rhetorical tools. I could see needing to use this pretty often. What a great sassy, edgy, barb - laced with a touch of humor, and dash of sarcasm...When I say these phrases to someone who may be trying to convince me of something or push his agenda on me, saying this phrase stops 'em dead in their tracks. (I would like to add "...you can just forget about" and "...Don't even mention..." and there might be a place for the elusive "much less" and "let alone"): So, what does the phrase "do"?

1. You've communicated a "stance" - a personality element - that "you ain't having none of it!". So, within the meaning of the phrase there's a reflection on your personality, where you're coming from. Is it in the meaning of the phrase itself that you are resolute, that you are not a pushover? I dont think that is in the literal meaning, but the phrase is performing more for you than the meaning itself. Just squaring your jaw, and delivering this phrase with a bit of a holier-than-thou tone alone is often enough to stymie an irritating claimant.

2. Because the phrase is "argumentative" sounding ("It goes without saying..."), and because it is implied that "it's obvious" - okay now watch this or you'll miss it - you have, in a sly and civilized way implied that the very suggestion is absurd, and the the speaker should have known. This is what I call "the language of restraint". Instead of confronting the speaker and saying "You should have known, you fool, what are ya doing!" - you come up looking like the diplomatic one because you've taken the verbal high road. I think that both English and Thai are languages in which there is a lot of "restraint" and to the extent that you can play those cards, YOU come up the winner.

3. This is the trump card: You've actually kind of called the person who suggested (whatever they are advocating) "stupid" without having to get your hands dirty and use an offensive term like "stupid". I mean, if it goes without saying, then why did you say it? Are you vacant or something?

In English, and in Thai, the phrase seems to perform similarly. I consider this a very "high yield" phrase which does a lot of heavy lifting for the speaker over and above simply communicating a question literally "how can you expect..." or "it does in fact go without saying". This is one of those beautifully subtle Thai phrases where you can "Take a jab" (พูดเหน็บแนม), with a certain amount of impunity.

So, in terms of the criteria: What does it do, what does it say about my personality, I'd have to say that this is a fantastic, hi-performance phrase which I will surely integrate into my "tool bag".

This register - being able to politely reject, or put someone in check, pull out a "gotcha" phrase while remaining within the bounds of civilized restraint - is something that seems to be missing from organized textbook curriculum, but I think that students are now demanding to access this type of natural language which native Thai speakers use to "make moves" more and more. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts which drill down to these hi-performing phrases to which there's more than meets the eye.

Not trying to be selfish, but I increasingly ask: What "moves" is this phrase putting on the listener? When a native Thai speaker pulls one of these out, what's the effect? How does it elevate me when I use it? What's the yield? Good stuff, this one. It's sort of a "defensive Thai" which Thai natives couldn't really survive without...Farang learners would do well to be equipped with such tools.

Now I know what you're probably thinking: "Hey, this Alan guy...what a braggart! If he can't even get intermediate Thai down pat, how can you expect him to/it goes without saying that he can't/much less/let alone (ever master) this complex stuff!" Let me try, but please correct my Thai: "ไอ้อลัน...หมอนี่...ขี้โม้หวะ(low tone on the "wa" please)...จะพิชิตภาษาไทยระดับกลางก็ไม่ได้...สำมะหาอะไรจะใช้ภาษาซับซ้อนเป็น! ;)
Alan

Postby David and Bui » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Thank you, Alan, for that discussion. Here are two more examples of the use of the phrase from the Thai press:

- ท่านนายกทราบหรือไม่ว่า หวย 3 ตัว 2 ตัว มีจุดรั่วไหลมากแค่ไหน ? แม้สลากกินแบ่งรัฐบาลที่ว่าโปร่งใสที่สุดแล้ว ยังสร้างเครื่องมือมาล็อคหวยกันได้ นับประสาอะไร หวย 3 ตัว 2 ตัว ที่ใช้มือเขียนแต่ละงวดทำไมจะโกงไม่ได้

- ขนาดประเทศไทย ยังถูก "อากาศเย็น" แผ่ปกคลุมทุกพื้นที่ กรุงเทพมหานคร ช่วงเช้าตรู่บางวัน อุณหภูมิยังลดระดับลงเหลือ 19 องศา ถือว่า เย็นกว่าอยู่ในห้องแอร์ นับประสาอะไรกับแถวยุโรป โดยเฉพาะประเทศอังกฤษ ตอนนี้อากาศค่อนข้างเย็นจัด อุณหภูมิราว 10 องศาเศษๆ
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Khun Pirin,

What does "ตีงูให้กากิน" mean? I have seen it rendered as "criticizing someone or attacking something where someone else derives the benefit." Is this a correct interpretation?

[RID: ตีงูให้กากิน (สํา) . ทําสิ่งใด ๆ ไว้แล้ว แต่ผลไปตกแก่ผู้อื่น,
ทําสิ่งที่ตนควรจะได้รับประโยชน์ แต่กลับไม่ได้.]

For example, when the U.S. attacks ISIS in Iraq and Syria and this activity thereby lessens the military and political pressure on President Assad in Syria, can we say that this is "ตีงูให้กากิน"? Or, is this better stated, "ตีงูให้เหี้ยกิน"?

Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks. I would like to ask how the ancients viewed กา. Is the crow a neutral bystander who benefits by the person who beats on the snake or is the กา a malevolent figure whom we are loathe to benefit from our efforts? And, if the former, what animal can be substituted for the กา to indicate that we dislike the beneficiary of our actions?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 am

David and Bui wrote:Thanks. I would like to ask how the ancients viewed กา. Is the crow a neutral bystander who benefits by the person who beats on the snake or is the กา a malevolent figure whom we are loathe to benefit from our efforts? And, if the former, what animal can be substituted for the กา to indicate that we dislike the beneficiary of our actions?

I thought it was a situation where if you are I killing a snake you weren't watching the rice so the crow eats it. Do crows like rice?
Tgeezer

Previous

Return to Advanced Translation